We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pre-Half Marathon Routine

(14 Posts)
Runwayqueen Sat 15-Oct-16 08:56:30

Morning all, after a few words of wisdom.

Tomorrow morning I'm entering my first half but I'm a bit lost with what to do tomorrow morning. I think I've got my food sorted for today, having my main meal at lunch with a small serving of pasta and chicken at tea time tonight. Will certainly be making sure I get all my fluids and a bit more in today.

But tomorrow morning I'm not sure what will be helpful. Race starts at 9, was thinking up at 5 to make sure I have 2hrs at home to clear stomach (I have sphincter of oddi and bile dumping so really important my stomach is sorted). Was thinking maybe half a bagel at about 6ish, I have run my short and mid distance runs on bagel so hoping it will be ok tomorrow. Not sure about drink, coffee when I get up but after that I'm not sure. I'm leaving the house about 7.15.

Does that sound ok? Thanks

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sat 15-Oct-16 10:22:44

Unfortunately now isn't the time, but I'd have suggested trialling exactly what you are going to do on race day before one of your training runs ( don't underestimate the usefulness of a training run starting at the same time as the actual run)

You know your body best, so I'd say go with your plan if that's what YOU think will work.

I have porridge and a banana a couple of hours beforehand usually, ny normal cuppa. My top tip is don't over hydrate, (especially at this time of year) as you will spent the whole of the pre race build up in the queue for the loo. Carry a bottle to the start if necessary and bin it as you get going.

I have started using a waistband bottle carrier with a small volume bottle and some sweets which has gone great the last few long runs and stops me panicking and over hydrating.

Good luck and enjoy it!

Runwayqueen Sat 15-Oct-16 10:59:01

Thank you.

You are completely right, I should have thought about it all sooner. I've been so focused on trying to eat before my longer training runs and clearing my stomach that the fluids got dropped to the side. I normally run on nothing but the last 6 weeks I've been testing food out and now know I can go to 9 miles on half a bagel.

I've got my race fluid intake sorted too, just completely forgot about pre-run. There is an hour times variance on the race start and normal long runs, but I'll be leaving the house at the same time.

Last minute panic for me

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sat 15-Oct-16 11:16:35

Don't sweat it. It sounds like you are very well prepared and have it covered.

I only mentioned the timing thing because like you it was something I totally forgot about in my training. Even worse for me, I did all my training runs late evening then my first event was in the morning, and had a very long drive to get there. Panicked, didn't eat enough, over hydrated, spent all the pre race in the loo queue, missed the start of the first wave and had to run to the back of the field to then turn round and start the run ! Then was grabbing handfuls of sweets from spectators because I hadn't eaten enough.

Not ideal!

I have one in a few weeks, I THINK I'm better prepared this time.

Good luck!

emummy Sat 15-Oct-16 11:18:17

Do what you normally do, so sounds like your plan is good, just make be a wee drink at some point, perhaps about an hour before the race, if that would work for your stomach.
Good luck, hope you really enjoy your day.

Runwayqueen Sat 15-Oct-16 13:17:06

Thank you both. flowers

My stomach is working overtime confused (7 visits to the loo already, sorry tmi), not sure if this is good or bad, but I guess better out than in.

My kit is ready, food for tonight is prepped, just to survive work (why I didn't take today off I don't know), and keep these nerves in check.

One last thing: Vaseline? Not had any problems in training but forecast is for heavy showers something I'd not avoided on purpose in training but just happened to be lucky with

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sat 15-Oct-16 18:13:02

I've never needed it, mainly due to good (lucky) clothing choices and I found it made no difference running saturated or dry.

I think you can end up laden with stuff if you try to be too prepared. I carry a couple of plasters and a condom shoved in my phone armband on all runs ( condom to put the phone in if it rains - DH was very hmm when he first spotted it in my running kit!) and the aforementioned mini bottle and midget gems on anything 10 miles and over. I sometimes shove a lip salve in a pocket which I guess could double for Vaseline if needed ...

Just don't forget a bin bag or disposable jumper to wear at the start

Good luck and most importantly ENJOY IT smile

lucjam2105 Sun 16-Oct-16 18:16:51

Were you doing the Bright10?

lucjam2105 Sun 16-Oct-16 18:17:35

Sorry ignore my message I see it was a half not a 10 miler. Sorry blush

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sun 16-Oct-16 20:20:27

So... how did it go?

smile

Runwayqueen Mon 17-Oct-16 10:30:12

I got round the Great West Run grin with no tummy problems. Phew!

2.47, quite disappointed with my time, but my feet were cramping from mile 10 onwards and I've been injured for the last 2 months so I should just be pleased to get over the line and know that I've got something to improve on. Now to rid the injury and get ready for Bath half in May smile

Thank you for asking and for the advice before hand smile

emummy Mon 17-Oct-16 12:00:11

Well done! And now you know how to manage your tummy for next time.

MotherFuckingChainsaw Mon 17-Oct-16 21:18:39

Well done

Nothing wrong at all with that time. Especially if you are recovering from injury..

I'm told that the biggest gains in times are between your first and second half marathon. You know the score, got a routine and know what you have to aim for.

(And I find out in 2 weeks if that's true!)

Runwayqueen Tue 18-Oct-16 16:58:23

Good luck for 2 weeks time!!!

I'm feeling better about my time now, I know I've got to resolve the injury and cramp issues and will be working on that. Next one not till march at the mo, so going to focus on bringing my 10k time down in the meantime smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now