Talk

Advanced search

Half marathon next week and feeling rubbish

(6 Posts)
Stradbroke Sat 01-Oct-16 18:40:05

I am doing the Royal parks half marathon next weekend and have raised money for charity so I really have to do it.
Training was going so well. When I did my big runs I felt good. Recovered well and was feeling really confident. A couple of weeks ago I did the biggest run and I think I pushed it too far. I did 19.7km and think I did too much (I had to do 2 hours). I felt OK doing it but later that day and the next day not so good. I did a 90 minute run last weekend and now I am feeling worse and worse. My pelvis feels weak, my knees feel weak and I am worried.
I rested last week and had a sports massage. It was really painful but I hoped it would help. If anything I feel weaker. She told me I have hyper mobile hips.

I have a 45 minute run tomorrow and then a couple of 30 minutes during the week and the half marathon next weekend.

Is there anything I can do between then and now to feel better? I did some runners yoga today which has helped a bit, but I just don't feel strong.

I am so gutted and feel like crying. If the run had been two weeks ago I would have been fine sad

KittyandTeal Sun 02-Oct-16 14:39:50

Poor you. It's horrid when you feel rough.

I have no experience but I'd reckon that rest might be the way forward, short, slow runs to keep ticking over and lots or rest.

I really hope you start feeling better soon

MrsMook Sun 02-Oct-16 14:47:23

Rest and gentle moblising exercise this week will help a lot.

I was beaten up by my osteopath yesterday. I'm not really bruised, but I feel like I am. I knew that my body was tired with lots of tension knots, but it was one of the meanest sessions that I've had in a long time! Although I'm feeling tender and worse than when I walked in, I am feeling looser, and the feeling has been wearing off through the day. It will be worth it by the time I get to the starting line.

Stradbroke Mon 03-Oct-16 17:16:08

Thank you both. I have had a bit of a google search and I think it is knee pain from weak hips. Today it hurt when I woke up but I did some hip exercises and plank and then some yoga stretches and it was much better. And i went for a walk with a friend and it seems OK. Not brilliant, but definitely not as bad.

KittyandTeal Mon 03-Oct-16 17:17:46

I've found single leg squats, single leg deadlifts, leg raises and clamshells have helps emmensly with my hip stability and pain. It started working quite quickly too

Stradbroke Mon 03-Oct-16 18:04:23

Thanks. I have been doing single leg deadlifts and they do seem to make a difference. I love them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now