Tri training

(4 Posts)
RandomMcRandomface Sat 24-Sep-16 06:29:38

Hello! I am training for my first olympic length tri, which is in a couple of months. I wondered if anyone had any advice though on whether it was better to train in all of the disciplines separately as longer distances, or as shorter distances together? I know I am supposed to do some block training sessions, but wasn't sure what the ratio of these should be compared to just running/biking/swimming by itself etc.

lljkk Sat 24-Sep-16 07:51:24

That's a huge commitment. Are you sure you don't want to join a club for training?

welshweasel Sat 24-Sep-16 07:56:18

The most important block is the bike/run. Every time you go out on your bike, go for a run straight after, it only needs to be for a mile or so, just so you get used to the very strange feeling in your legs and known that it does go away! Personally I never did any swim/bike blocks just because it's not really that practical. I'd concentrate on swimming 1.5-2k twice a week (with the odd open water session if it's not a pool swim), a 10k run and a shorter fast run a week and as much cycling as you can fit it. An Olympic distance is very doable and you don't need to join a club unless you want to.

Closetlibrarian Fri 30-Sep-16 13:56:28

I did a lot of triathlon a few years ago and only ever did brick training (bike to run) as I got closer to the race. If this is your first race, I'd concentrate on building up your competence/ fitness in the three different disciplines first. Then worry about bricks and transitions later. There are tons of good, free training plans online. I followed those for my first races, then I joined a club, which was brilliant and I highly recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now