Talk

Advanced search

Nordic Walking

(7 Posts)
PoisonousSmurf Sat 10-Sep-16 17:09:12

I'd like to start doing this type of exercise, but worried that I'll look like a twat! Is it better to be in a group or go it alone in the middle of nowhere and hope no-one sees you?

PikachuSayBoo Sat 10-Sep-16 17:13:54

Did you see that thing on bbc news earlier about it and the reporter went and tried it out at a nordic walking festival? I'm afraid me and dd sniggered. So probably best to hope nobody sees you. grin

I know a nordic walking instructor and see him and his clients in the local park. I probably shouldn't snigger when I haven't done it but I just don't get it. Can't you just walk briskly and swing your arms?

marywinchester Sat 10-Sep-16 17:34:17

i do a lot of nordic walking here, it's really good for a total body workout. we do have a local group but they go out in the day when i'm at work so i go out 4 evenings a week by myself. a few people have stopped and asked what it is i'm doing but i've not had any other remarks.
i've recently dropped one evening of nordic walking in favour of speed/race walking and have had more comments on being a wiggly bum walker than i've ever had nordic walking.
i think go out enjoy it and who cares what others think.

PoisonousSmurf Sat 10-Sep-16 17:35:11

Lol! I've got normal trekking poles, but they wouldn't be the right type of pole. Had a look on Amazon and the Nordic poles are between £50-£140!
shock

PoisonousSmurf Sat 10-Sep-16 17:37:03

Thanks Marywinchester. I've booked a begineers class. I'll see how it goes. I've got a nice quiet walk nearby. Keep fit for winter.

NightNightBadger19962 Sat 10-Sep-16 17:40:57

I got a few people asking me where the snow was...tbh I'm not too sensitive about what people think. I found it a great workout and fun to walk really fast with the help of the poles. But unfortunately I found the clicking sound on the tarmac really annoying after a while, even after buying a few different types of cap for the ends of the poles. So I have not kept going.

marywinchester Sat 10-Sep-16 18:30:42

oh yes that tap tap tap on the tarmac, it's a slow form of torture. i wear earphones now and play music to drown the tapping out grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now