Talk

Advanced search

First solo run, nervous!

(7 Posts)
AlwaysNeverOnTime Sun 04-Sep-16 16:34:14

I'm not very good at it but I really enjoy running. Well, more of a jog grin I normally go with a friend but she's busy so I'm going to have to go by myself for the first time. Hope I don't see too many people.

Do you normally run by yourselves? Does it bother you? I just feel really self conscious!

CMOTDibbler Sun 04-Sep-16 16:38:02

I always run by myself (well, with the dogs). Its possibly a sign of my age, or this area, that I only ever get comments on the dogs!

And when I see runners out I think 'good on you' or 'you go girl'

KittyandTeal Sun 04-Sep-16 16:39:42

I only ever run on my own, mainly because the people I know who run don't have the same time off as me. I'm doing all my half and full marathon training solo.

I find it really peaceful. If you're elf conscious then pop some earphones in and listen to music. I tend to go and run somewhere beautiful. It is a bit tougher without encouragement and someone else to push you on but both are great in there own ways.

Enjoy it.n

AlwaysNeverOnTime Sun 04-Sep-16 16:42:11

Maybe I should get a dog then? grin

I'm actually looking forward to being able to listen to music as with my friend, I can't. Normally one of us will be ahead/behind the other so even though we do start together, we never stay together, but it's just knowing she's there that makes me feel better.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Sun 04-Sep-16 18:07:23

Well I did it! To be fair I only saw one person walking a dog and I was going to stop and walk past but I carried on.

yeOldeTrout Sun 04-Sep-16 20:16:33

I'm horrified at thought of running with others, tbh. I don't want to be compared to how fast others go, or have to try to juggle my schedule to match when they are ready to go. I'm too impatient to always slow down for someone else & I'm a lot slower than almost all other keen runners, so they don't want hassle of running with me.

I'm happy with my own thoughts too, there's always stuff to think about.

AlwaysNeverOnTime Sun 04-Sep-16 20:23:52

You'll not be slower than me trout. I honestly think I can walk faster than I run!

I didn't really like being by myself. I found listening to my music distracted me from concentrating on my breathing and relaxing my upper body. I didn't do as well as normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now