Doing my first ever parkrun tomorrow...

(21 Posts)
MsMarvel Fri 02-Sep-16 07:01:26

And im terrified!

Never run longer than about 3km at a time, but have signed up for a 10k in October so thoigjt this is a good way to practice.

I know im going to be incredibly slow though, Im nervous about being ridiculously far behind everyone else.

Please talk me out of just not going??

Im not completely unfit, but mainly do HIIT and strength training, so my endurance and
Stamina have never really been put to the test...

Lapinlapin Fri 02-Sep-16 07:06:31

Do it, it's brilliant!

Seriously. I did my first one a few weeks a go and loved it. Loads of people, all shapes and sizes and ages and abilities. It was a really nice atmosphere.

pinkhorse Fri 02-Sep-16 07:07:29

You'll love it! Don't forget your barcode! Good luck!

MissSueFlay Fri 02-Sep-16 07:10:22

Parkrun is great, you'll enjoy it! The group support is central to it - make sure you stick up your hand when they ask who is doing parkrun for the first time wink
If you're anxious about being slow, get there a bit early and have a quick word with the volunteers - they always have a 'final finisher' marshal who comes in with the last runner. At my local parkrun there's a lady who usually runs it in about 47 mins - she always gets a good cheer as she crosses the finish line smile

keepinrunning Fri 02-Sep-16 07:10:53

Just remember, even if you are at the back you are in front of the many many people who are not even attempting it. Go for it!

fastdaytears Fri 02-Sep-16 07:12:41

I'm hoping this will be me soon! I'm doing lots of shorter runs but not at 5k yet.

So you're waaaay ahead of me and I'm officially jealous. Have lots of fun

chutneypig Fri 02-Sep-16 07:13:21

Oh do go, they're the most welcoming events, I've been to several around the country and every single one has been friendly, supportive with a range of people from the fastest, to those run/walking and walking.

Most, if not all, have a tail runner offering support so you'd never be behind everyone else.

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 02-Sep-16 07:18:23

I'm doing my first next weekend. Can't go tomorrow as we are away.
Dd and I started running a few months the ago but tailed off when a busy time took over then dh upped his marathon training so it was harder to fit in time in the evening.
Determined to get back into it. Dd and I are going with friends dh and their Dd. I'm mildly terrified. I'm a little bit fat and not a great runner but can walk 5k in 40 minutes so hoping I'll get through my first one with a but of running and walking.
Just remember we will be doing better than the people still lying in their beds while we are out there. Good luck but I bet you don't need it.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 02-Sep-16 08:07:48

Do it. They are fantastic. Most have a tail runner, so if you are at the back they will be with you.
The volunteers are amazing.
Be warned, it's addictive!

MsMarvel Sat 03-Sep-16 11:01:13

Just back and showered after my my first ever parkrun, which isnalso my first ever 5k! I'm absolutely buzzing!!

Went along with dp, it was his first time too, but hes faster than me so we were both running seperately at different paces. Having the stewards clapping and encouraging you is so motivating!!

Most saturdays we will have dsd with us, so we are thinking about taking it in turns running and the other volunteering with dsd, will that be ok do you think? It lets us both continue to go and I think it will be good for dsd to see fitness and excercise encouraged.

longdiling Sat 03-Sep-16 11:04:57

Well done Msmarvel! The taking it in turns to run/volunteer sounds great. My husband takes my 9 year old every week, sometimes they run together and sometimes they volunteer together. It's been great for my boy, all the stewards have got to know him and really cheer him on, he loves it.

cathyandclare Sat 03-Sep-16 11:08:04

Well done!!! I did my first one today too. they're nowhere near as scary as I'd feared. Gives me motivation to keep going too, if I was no my one, I know I'd stop.

cathyandclare Sat 03-Sep-16 11:08:57

On my own
my hands are clearly still drained and wobbly after all that running grin

YesThisIsMe Sat 03-Sep-16 11:12:27

Ooh, exciting. DD and I have signed up for a 5K in October so we're planning to do Junior 2K runs for a few weeks and then move up to the big league (I can run with her but I won't be timed). First one tomorrow, wish us luck!

MissSueFlay Sat 03-Sep-16 13:38:30

Came on to see if you'd done it - well done MrsM! So pleased you enjoyed it - they are not scary at all are they!

How old is your DSD? My DD is 4 and she likes to run one lap (ours is a 3-lap course) with either DH or I (we alternate each time we go). She's obviously very slow but gets lots of support from runners, it's very sweet. When she's done she stands at the finish and claps as people come in grin

Well done cathyandclare too!
Good luck YesThisIsMe, well done for signing up for a 5k race!

lastqueenofscotland Sat 03-Sep-16 13:42:01

Well done!! Glad you enjoyed it. Volunteering is just as fun too!

MsMarvel Sat 03-Sep-16 14:53:32

Just checked my emails and got my time, did it in 32.11! Im pretty happy with that for my first time!

Although its a very flat course so easier to get a faster time than other parkruns i think.

Dsd is 8, but is a bit overweight and not that into excercise. I really want to encourage her that excercising is fun so im hoping that she will get a feel for the atmosphere and want to join in.

My park run also have a junior parkrun on a sunday morning so might take her along to that first if she wants to give it a go. How do the junior ones work?

FeckinCrutches Sat 03-Sep-16 14:55:14

That is not slow, great time!

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 03-Sep-16 15:04:47

Wow that's a great time! I can only do it in 40 mins.
I am reassured by this thread, have been wanting to try a Parkrun for years and was going to a couple of weeks ago but was too nervous so did a 5k at the gym instead! Next week!!

YesThisIsMe Sat 03-Sep-16 15:39:58

Our local juniors run (Brockwell) say that the child must be registered, that under 11s must be accompanied and that the parent can run with their child but must peel off before the finish line so they don't get a time. But the web page of your local juniors run should give you all the details.

eatpuddingdrinkwine Sat 03-Sep-16 18:29:33

Hi junior park runners need to be registered and have there bar code with them. They can run it alone or you can accompany them but you must not go through the finishing tunnel .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now