Talk

Advanced search

What gym equipment will my fitbit count as steps?

(14 Posts)
Cguk81 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:40:47

I have a fitbit alta and I love it...it really motivates me to do loads of steps but I find it frustrating that it doesn't count any steps for an hours spinning class. And I tried the elliptical trainer at the gym the other day and it didn't register my moves on that either...is there anything (other than the treadmill) that the fitbit will register as steps?

BennyTheBall Tue 30-Aug-16 21:42:36

I put mine in my leggings when I do spin blush. Same for cross trainer.

gamerchick Tue 30-Aug-16 21:43:09

With mine (charge HR) I I hold the button in for a couple of seconds it times my activity, just remember to do the same at the finish. Does it have the option?

BennyTheBall Tue 30-Aug-16 21:43:33

....A spinning class is worth about 7000 steps! I'm not not counting that.

Cguk81 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:49:46

bennytheball that is a fantastic idea, you have just made my night grin and I've finally realised how my main competitor on my friends list is getting her steps so high! And totally justified as spin is tough and should be counted as steps .

gamerchick the alta doesn't have that option. I can manually add exercise in via the dashboard but it doesn't then take an estimate of steps from it which is a shame.

Thanks!

AtSea1979 Tue 30-Aug-16 21:57:08

Remove it from the strap and stick it in your sock.

PikachuSayBoo Wed 31-Aug-16 21:37:13

I put the strap round the waistband of my knickers at the side and it works.

Cguk81 Wed 31-Aug-16 21:52:10

I'm next going to spin again on Sunday and very excited about trying these tips...thanks!

PikachuSayBoo Wed 31-Aug-16 22:20:05

It wont count every spin whether in your knickers or socks. I can go and bike 15 miles and maybe only get 8000 steps.

Cguk81 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:56:19

That's fine, just a decent number of steps credit for a spin class will make me happy.

Cguk81 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:47:17

Thanks again all for the tips. I put my fitbit on my laces for spin and got 4k steps and it recorded it as 1 hour on the elliptical trainer.

tribpot Mon 05-Sep-16 20:52:54

Mine (Charge HR) definitely records steps on the elliptical whilst on my wrist. I'm glad you've found a solution, I would be gutted to have got through a spin class (not that I could) and have no steps to show for it at the end.

Cguk81 Mon 05-Sep-16 22:59:54

Thanks tribpot. It's funny how they differ..I did a stint on the elliptical on the gym last week to see if it would register (while wearing it on my wrist) and it didn't record any steps so I'm glad I've found a workaround.

MrsMook Tue 06-Sep-16 20:05:35

I've started putting my sports watch on my ankle when doing things like swimming (I can't use the HR monitor in the water). My front crawl arms are obviously too smooth grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now