Talk

Advanced search

Protein shakes - should I be adding them to my routine?

(6 Posts)
Queenbean Mon 22-Aug-16 18:51:49

Just that basically. Will they really help with recovery or are they just full of crap and I'm better sticking with a protein rich snack?

MsMarvel Mon 22-Aug-16 19:00:11

Ive recently added them into my workout routine and have noticed a big difference. I was finding it difficult to get a natural protein rich snack in the 30 minutes post workout, so to me the shake is an easier way to do this.

Ive also started taking glutamine before i workout to help with muscle pain.

Its seems to be a split opinion on whether the are worth it or not, but my PT recomended them for me so I went with her opinion, and can notice a dofference in how I feel post workout, as well as a difference to how much I can give during the workout.

Queenbean Mon 22-Aug-16 19:31:59

That's really good to hear, thank you

Is there a specific brand or type you'd recommend?

MsMarvel Mon 22-Aug-16 21:07:21

The one i have jusy now was just a small tub i got at holland and barrat at their penny sale, but when it finishes im thinking of getting myprotein stuff on my next batch, the flavours sound amazing!

KeyserSophie Fri 26-Aug-16 10:44:29

The split opinion is confusing because a lot of the naysayers are actually saying "protein shakes are no better than a chicken breast or a steak or a pint of milk" which is probably true but as MrsM points out, the organisation required to tote a cooked chicken breast around to have straight after the gym is greater than that required to stick a bottle containing 2 scoops of powder in your gym bag- therefore the compliance is likely to be much better.

I use myprotein total protein (whey isolate and egg white) after tough sessions. MrsM - Dont get too excited about the flavours. It's ok but not super-yummy like Progenex.

RunningLulu Sun 04-Sep-16 01:10:50

I take a small can of tuna with me for post-work outs. Works better for me than protein as it's too much faff to make it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now