Enough exercise for half marathon? Any tips?

(11 Posts)
PlumFairy2014 Fri 19-Aug-16 10:53:23

I have been running since March and have signed up for a half marathon in October... At current I do Level 2 30ds 3 times a week and do 3 runs (usually 3). One run is 3.5miles, one about 5/6 miles and then I push myself on the other and at current do about 7/8 miles (but going for 9/10 this weekend). Anything up to about 6 miles I can keep at 9.30min/mile, but I do go slower doing 8 miles.

I am only 5"3 and 10st, but a size 10 so hoping some of that is muscle, but I am worried I'm a bit overweight for the half marathon.

So really my question is am I doing enough? Any advice much appreciatd, as I am starting to panic a touch.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 19-Aug-16 11:00:21

Sounds like you've plenty of time to build up to 11 or 12 miles. I followed a bupa beginners plan when I did mine, most plans for beginners suggest not doing the full distance until race day. There's another thread on here 'Half Marathon - anyone doing one', lots of lovely folks on there to give advice and support. Good luck!!

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 19-Aug-16 11:02:44

Oh and don't expect the weight to fall off by running - I didn't lose any!!!!! Seems like diet is more important for weight loss. 5ft3 and 10 stone sounds fine to me - you most definitely won't be the biggest person doing the half marathon.

CMOTDibbler Fri 19-Aug-16 11:06:33

Download a half marathon training plan - I like the Womens Running magazine ones - and follow that for the rest of the time till your HM. If you can run 8mi now, you'll be fine to run a HM in October

Kr1stina Fri 19-Aug-16 11:12:06

Another vote for downloading a training plan and following it religiously

PlumFairy2014 Fri 19-Aug-16 11:29:55

Thank you! On the other thread, perfect!

Just planning this training plan into my week, fingers crossed.

OpenMe Fri 19-Aug-16 11:35:09

Sounds like what you're doing is great for a first HM, just gradually build up the longer run to around 12 miles. Be very careful not to increase too quickly as that's when injuries happen. I wouldn't add more than 1 mile per week (half a mile better). Your long runs should be slower, about 1 min per mile slower.

I'd change your shortest run for some reps/fartlek (short sharp bursts with gentle jogging in between). Mix it between flat and hills. This should help with fat burning and increase your base speed but for weight it is mostly about diet IME and running does make you hungry. Again be careful not to do too much too quickly though. It's the downfall of every beginner runner, things go so well they do too much and end up injured.

OpenMe Fri 19-Aug-16 11:37:05

Most of the beginner plans will be basically what you're doing with the amendments I suggest anyway. Don't pick a plan that requires you to change too much, you can build up to those for your next one!

Anglaise1 Fri 19-Aug-16 19:34:44

Agree with all the advice, intervals are very important as well as longer runs. If you haven't already done one, doing a 10km race before your HM will help you a lot, both in knowing how to pace your HM (the speed you run in training is never as fast as when you race) and conquering pre-race nerves!

Namechangenurseryconcerns Fri 19-Aug-16 19:43:42

You'll be fine on that. Just increase one of your runs per week and take it very steady.
Do another, shorter one (10k ish) at a faster pace and throw in some sprint intervals on your other run.
You definitely won't be the biggest. I'm that height and weight and pretty middle of the road in both size and speed.

MrsMook Fri 19-Aug-16 20:00:46

Sounds good. I'm good on cross training/ strength and building up the long runs. I tend to slip on some of the shorter runs.

I went from completing C25k in the March to an October HM. Sounds like you're on course to train appropriately. It'll be worth looking at a plan to consider rest weeks and tapering.

It's quite common for new runners to have one pace and struggle to control it for varied paces of runs. That comes with time and practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now