Talk

Advanced search

Fallen out of love with the gym

(9 Posts)
Twinklestar2 Sun 07-Aug-16 13:18:14

I used to like going to the gym. I used to enjoy running on the treadmill - trying to beat my time and distance.

Since having my son 2 years ago I have been going on and off - more off than on! I even cancelled before Xmas.

I rejoined a couple of months ago. I've been 3 times blush. I find running a chore now. I've tried the cross trainer... I just find it all boring!!!

I don't know if I just cancel and do what I enjoy - which is walking - instead.

I'm paying £43 a month and just feel guilty for not going and wasting money.

BlameItOnTheBogey Sun 07-Aug-16 13:23:27

Have you tried weights OP? MUCH more fun than the treadmill, I promise.

Twinklestar2 Sun 07-Aug-16 13:25:24

Which weights and what do I do grin

Will it help me to lose weight and tone up?

tigerdick Sun 07-Aug-16 14:42:16

Does your gym offer classes? Machines bore me to tears so I do a lot of dance, weight and aerobic classes.

When I need a break from the gym I have a stack of fave exercises DVD's to do at home. Also, sometimes I just spend a few months walking loads to change it up. I haven't lifted weights properly for a few years and I can still do full push-ups so I think as long as you are moving your body you're good.

MaryAll Mon 08-Aug-16 11:06:16

I'd consult a trainer and see what they can recommend about weights. It is all about what you can do and what you feel comfortable with. But it is definitely a great way to find some diversity in the gym, considering you haven't done weights so far.

Thefitfatty Mon 08-Aug-16 11:14:14

Weights are great. You can chop and change routines as you get bored, and you feel the results much faster. Also, doing your average 6 x 3 x 10 set doesn't take that long. grin

carrie74 Mon 08-Aug-16 13:11:21

I don't belong to a gym, haven't for years and years, and I'm the fittest I've ever been. I do see a PT fortnightly, but do that in his own gym. Then in between, I go to yoga classes, run outside, do body weight and weights exercises at home, play tennis, walk, cycle. I actually can't imagine going to a gym anymore, I'd resent the addition time it would take getting there and back, versus just doing something when I've got a spare 30-60 minutes at home.

nbee84 Mon 08-Aug-16 21:48:17

Do they have classes at your gym - I go to classes 5 or 6 days a week and can't remember the last time I set foot in the gym, I think it was 3 or 4 months ago when my spin class was cancelled at the last minute and my workout was far less intense than doing a class. I'm hopeless at pushing myself and need the classes to get the best out of a workout.

Lilmisskittykat Mon 08-Aug-16 21:51:04

I second classes... I find them enjoyable And quite social too.

If you used to love running maybe getting out running whilst it's fine and dry might be more interesting...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now