Talk

Advanced search

Why do I get such bad DOMS??

(15 Posts)
MsMarvel Thu 04-Aug-16 15:10:25

Ive been going to the gym 2-3 times a week sine october, one session with my PT and one body pump class, along with a gym session that is more cardio based.

Even though ive been in this routine for a while now, im still in agony 2 days after each session. Went to a body pump class on tuesday evening and can hardlywalk today my quads are so sore.

Surely this pain should be easing off with myy body getting used to the extra pressure?

Is there such thing as just being more susceptable to muscle pain after workout? My PT always seems quite surprised when i tell her how sore i am after a body pump class.

Any cures for this??

dementedpixie Thu 04-Aug-16 15:14:06

That is strange. I only get sore after body pump if I have missed the class for a few weeks. Do you stretch properly before/after?

MsMarvel Thu 04-Aug-16 15:18:04

Yeah i do the stretching at the end of the class, another more focussed stretch before getting changed and then i use my 20 minute walk home as a gentle cool down.

I dont even know if this is possible but could ir be general muscle strain that is taking longer to heal? Would a massage or something help get them back to normal?

LakeFlyPie Thu 04-Aug-16 22:23:04

What sort of weights are you using for Body Pump (especially squat bar)?
I was struggling to walk for half the week after BP and have found it a lot less painful since reducing the weights slightly.
Have reduced everything by about 1/3 (from warm up bar onwards)

I thought DOMS was a sign I was getting stronger but read a couple of articles which suggested there's no benefit to the suffering so I decided not to bother!

MsMarvel Thu 04-Aug-16 22:42:53

I have a 2.5 and a 1.25 on each side for legs, then drop off the 1.25s for upper body.

At the time it doesnt feel too heavy, and my PT is pushing for me to up the weights but ive not yet because i know how sore I'll be after.

I spoke to my PT about it today and she recommended taking some gluto-something amino protein thing (ill need to ask her to send me the name of ut haha) which is meant to help, so i think Ill look into that.

Ginmakesitallok Thu 04-Aug-16 22:45:02

Fish oils- dp swears by them. And you don't need fancy protein stuff- milk is just as good. Dp is a lecturer and researcher in Exercise Physiology.

LakeFlyPie Thu 04-Aug-16 23:31:38

Doesn't sound like you're overdoing the resistance.

Fish oils tip is v interesting, thanks Gin, will try that and see if I can up the weights and still sit down without an involuntary groan of paingrin

dementedpixie Fri 05-Aug-16 07:28:35

I do 10kg a side on squats and it doesn't hurt after. Wonder why you are so sore afterwards if you have been doing the class for several months now

MsMarvel Fri 05-Aug-16 07:42:35

My training with my pt is weights based and i know I can comfortably lift more than i use at pump, not sure why ut affects me so much.

I get sore after a PT session but i expect that, given that its an hour session focussing on a specific muscle group.

J0kersSmile Mon 08-Aug-16 11:17:06

Are you eating carbs after? White fast working carbs are really beneficial after a workout. I can't remember the scientific term but it repairs your muscles and stops them breaking down. Protein as well but you don't need as much protein as you think you need and anyone recommending protein protein protein are probably trying to sell you something.

carrie74 Mon 08-Aug-16 13:07:12

Was it Glucosamine Suplhate? I think that's supposed to be a helpful supplement for joints (both DH and my Mum have successfully taken it for knee pain and possible arthritis respectively).

lastqueenofscotland Mon 08-Aug-16 13:46:21

Have you tried foam rolling. It's horrific but it helps

J0kersSmile Mon 08-Aug-16 15:18:02

Carrie yes!

MsMarvel Mon 08-Aug-16 21:55:45

It was glutomine. Ive bought some glutomine capsules (god bless holland and barrett penny sale!) so we'll see if that makes a difference.

conkerpods Sat 20-Aug-16 08:10:03

Foam roller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now