Postpartum running ; Couch to 5k

(6 Posts)
Tywinlannister Wed 03-Aug-16 09:19:56

DS2 is nearly 4 months. I had a csection and feel totally healed.

I didn't really have much of an exercise routine before the baby but I did and still do walk a lot. I am thinking of starting C25k as I have lost a bit of weight through breastfeeding and want to keep it up (no longer feeding but still eating like a horse!) I got to week 6 just before I fell pregnant.

I feel completely fine other than my hyper-extended hip on one side which has always given me grief on and off even when I am not pregnant. It tires after a 3mile+ walk but is fine day to day. It was slightly weaker after DS1 as well but hardened back up after about 6-8 months, although my SPD with that pregnancy was terribly bad, I had none with this pregnancy.

Is this too ambitious?

Tywinlannister Wed 03-Aug-16 09:23:04

Sorry, I mean hypermobile. It's extra bendy!

MrsMook Wed 03-Aug-16 22:53:41

I took up C25k when DS2 was 6-7 months when I realised that I'd finally stopped limping from SPD (3 months after the birth I was still having to catch the bus to avoid walking uphill)

After my CS from DS1, I felt ready for a postnatal class at 10 weeks, and a mainstream circuits class at 5 months.

It sounds like you feel ready. I liked the way that I could slot running in between my bottle refuser's feeds. I repeated some runs and took it gently as I was concerned about injury and a fairly low fitness at the start. One year later, I did my first HM!

PacificDogwod Wed 03-Aug-16 22:59:10

I'd be very cautious tbh.

If you must run, make sure it's on a bouncy surface i.e. woodland path rather than concrete/tarmac.
Running is really high impact and your undercarriage would not have recovered fully yet from pregnancy (how you've delivered is a contributory fact, but pregnancy alone puts strain on the pelvic floor).

Could you not swim/cycle/powerwalk for cardiovascular fitness rather than run?

MrsJamesFraser Thu 04-Aug-16 06:03:56

I did my first run 5 weeks postpartum but I was regular runner before and was doing park run up until about 22 weeks. Everything I read befor going back to running said if you felt any weakness in pelvic floor (partic if any incontinence) to stop immediately. I would give it a try but don't push yourself if you feel discomfort.

Tywinlannister Thu 04-Aug-16 14:37:24

I could actually do some cycling. I used to cycle to work/shops etc so I suppose I always think of it as a mode of transportation rather than an exercise! Might be nice to cycle for the fun of it rather than to get somewhere - we have some nice cycle paths here. I quickly develop rather large thighs from cycling though, in my teens they were like rock!

My pelvic floor feels fine, the hip pain is on the outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now