Talk

Advanced search

What should I eat prior to a long run?

(11 Posts)
JeanGenie23 Sat 30-Jul-16 20:01:11

Hello everyone,

I am going for a long run tomorrow morning.(the longest I have done yet) I am aiming to do 12k in 75minutes. What should I be eating prior to going? It will be mid morning when I go and I will probably be eating breakfast about 7.30am.
I was thinking poached eggs and spinach with one slice of granary bread? Does this sound sufficient? I will be taking a bottle of lucozade sport with me to drink as I run.
Any pointers gratefully received smile

lastqueenofscotland Sat 30-Jul-16 23:18:38

I wouldn't bother, maybe a slice of toast if you really can't run fasted. I go without until about 20 miles.

Vlier Sat 30-Jul-16 23:20:40

My ex used to eat oatmeel portidge before a marathon.

emummy Sun 31-Jul-16 08:03:47

That sounds fine. I usually have breakfast about an hour before I go out, I haven't really done any fasted runs. I think it is what you are used to really. I used to drink sports drinks when running but found they made name a bit sick, I just stick to water now, and at this stage I find I don't need it unless I am doing 10 miles or more, unless it is a hot day. If you are used to drinking lucozade while running then fine, otherwise I would just go with water.

JeanGenie23 Sun 31-Jul-16 08:10:19

I usually drink a bottle of water and some lucozade prior to running but my last two long runs, I had stitch at about 6k and it was really tough to continue. So I figured take a drink with me?! confused

I am not sure I could manage a fasted run, I have been up since 7am with my dd so don't think I could not eat, and it's not what I am used to.

Thank you all

fuckmyfatlife Sun 31-Jul-16 09:34:38

I have 30g porridge oats about 3 hours before, sometimes made into a kind of omelette with egg whites or eggs (add stevia, vanilla extract maybe some raisins etc) and a banana almost immediately before I set off.

Running in a fasted state can be a good way for men to adapt to burning fat as fuel but a BBC thing found recently it works the other way around for women and encouraged their bodies to
Store more fat so if that's of interest the advice was to fuel yourself whenever running for more than 90 minutes.

fuckmyfatlife Sun 31-Jul-16 09:45:44

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tq3tk

I think it might have been this programme, apologies if it isn't! Obviously everyone is different so you will have to experiment a bit to find what works for you

fuckmyfatlife Sun 31-Jul-16 09:53:58

www.bbcgoodfood.com/sites/all/themes/bbcw_goodfood/images/gf-fast-food.pdf this is a really helpful guide

lljkk Sun 31-Jul-16 10:33:32

energy gels were "the thing" inthe 5 mile race I went on the other day.

JeanGenie23 Sun 31-Jul-16 13:15:58

Thank you fuckmyfatlife the guide is very helpful.

In the end I ran with just a bottle of water and I felt good for the whole run, managed 6miles in just under 75mins which is a PB!! grin

emummy Sun 31-Jul-16 15:15:31

Brilliant, well done! It's all trial and error really, finding what works for you at the stage you are at in running. It gradually changes with time I find. Keep up the good work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now