Talk

Advanced search

Exercise & back pain

(16 Posts)
Trickymoments Tue 19-Jul-16 20:21:35

I sometimes suffer with back pain & am wondering if there is a) a type of exercise that can really help alleviate it and b) what type of exercise might make it worse?

I've joined a high intensity workout class only once a week & although I feel fine during the class, I'm sure it might have got worse in days following. Could it be the high impact exercises making it worse?

I haven't exercised like that for a long time so I guess my body may be in shock!

lljkk Wed 20-Jul-16 20:53:01

Backs are complicated, you might only figure it out via trial & error.
Mine goes when my posture is bad. So my solution is very strict good posture whatever I do.

Trickymoments Wed 20-Jul-16 21:56:51

I think it's the same for me lljkk. I can wake up in the morning and feel ok and then by midday and a morning of sitting at a desk my back is hurting. I have had a desk assessment & have got decent office chair but my job just involves sitting there for 4 hours a day and I know my posture is not good.
How do you ensure good posture at all times? I think I just forget & slump too much!

I have felt better after doing a pilates class but the high impact class I did I'm sure made things worse.

Spam88 Wed 20-Jul-16 22:04:16

I don't have any experience of this, but I'd expect something like yoga would help, in terms of improving flexibility in your back and improving your posture?

Wolfiefan Wed 20-Jul-16 22:06:54

Do you have a diagnosis of what is causing your pain?
I find walking really helps.
I have slipped disc and arthritis. I have been told to avoid jumping up and down. I can't run. I also find certain moves (like a shimmy in Zumba) hurt.
You need to keep moving, avoid sitting and build a strong core.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 20-Jul-16 22:08:58

I did some fairly low level Pilates which helped strengthen my core and support my back.

blueskyinmarch Wed 20-Jul-16 22:12:15

I found sitting at a desk at work made my back/hips hurt like hell so i gave up working (extreme i know). Then i was diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Pilates is helping me regain core strength before i go on to tackle more high impact exercise.

newroundhere Wed 20-Jul-16 22:13:13

I was also going to suggest Pilates - I generally have a bad back but have been doing pilates through pregnancy and haven't had any back problems at all.

Trickymoments Wed 20-Jul-16 22:17:56

I have rheumatoid arthritis, well controlled with meds but sometimes flares up & has done before in my back as well as other joints. Took a while but eventually it gets better.

I think perhaps the high impact moves which involve jumping up & down are not helping but I started this class as want to improve my cardio fitness.
How can I do this in a less high impact way? Presumably running isn't a great idea either?

Wolfiefan Wed 20-Jul-16 22:30:22

Walking.
Rowing.
Cross trainer.
Swimming.
Bike. Spin?
I can manage some higher intensity classes with modification. Eg. I step when they jump.

lljkk Wed 20-Jul-16 22:35:41

How do you ensure good posture at all times?

I don't, but I keep trying smile. Youtube videos are good. I think in terms of raising my lungs to the sky -- works for me. Opening my shoulders out, too.

Queenbean Wed 20-Jul-16 22:37:50

Pilates is good, yoga is bad

Rowing machine very bad!!

Swimming is good
Bike only with good posture

Best thing of all is reformer Pilates

Trickymoments Wed 20-Jul-16 22:40:23

What is reformer pilates Queen?

bananapeanut Wed 20-Jul-16 22:44:25

Watching with interest - currently awaiting a diagnosis (suspected arthritis). I'm 23 and am usually so active. I love running 😞

Wolfiefan Thu 21-Jul-16 15:10:48

Yoga isn't bad! Doing it with an untrained instructor is bad. I did Iyengar yoga and loved it.

BobbinThreadbare123 Thu 04-Aug-16 15:38:54

I have several out of line discs, arthritis and had got to the point where I couldn't actually bend to pick anything up off the floor, or lift one of my legs. I started lifting weights as soon as I could stand up straight. I haven't had any back pain since and my posture has improved considerably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now