Talk

Advanced search

Too unfit for couch to 5k...

(87 Posts)
PippaFawcett Tue 12-Jul-16 15:38:34

Just what the title says! I'm very overweight (approx 17stone plus) and I started couch to 5k yesterday. It is SO hard! Is there a programme out there designed for the people who have been on the couch for a lot longer than other people?! I worry that if I find it too hard so early on that it won't do my motivation any good. Argh.

AlbusPercival Tue 12-Jul-16 15:42:15

I suspect you need to slow it down a bit. I completed C25k at 23 - 21 stone (lost while doing it). ]

You dont have to sprint the run sections

ErrolTheDragon Tue 12-Jul-16 15:42:46

Maybe the simplest option is to take literally the old adage 'don't run before you can walk' and start by getting up to 5k fast walking by alternating walking as fast as you can with slower sections?

cosmicglittergirl Tue 12-Jul-16 15:42:56

Have you just the first day? Could you keep repeating it until you improve then move onto day 2 and so on. Or fast walk the running bits?
I know what you mean, I'm on week 5, but it's taken me a lot longer than that to get there. I repeat a run until I can do it.

CMOTDibbler Tue 12-Jul-16 15:43:46

Did you manage the first session though? If you did, then you are doing fantastically, and remember you've made the biggest change already.

Nothing wrong with doing each week twice, and make sure you run really, really, slowly

KittyandTeal Tue 12-Jul-16 15:44:48

If you are struggling with the run sections then do the whole program as a slow/fast walk program rather than a run/walk program. Once you've upped your fitness a bit then do it all again as a run/walk program.

Well done for getting out and doing something.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Tue 12-Jul-16 15:46:24

Can you join a group of beginner runners? Bit more motivation if there are a few of you.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Tue 12-Jul-16 15:47:11

It's OK if you need to run some of the walking bits, just run as much as you can, you'll get better.
Have you considered cycling instead of or as well as running? I find it much easier and it'll build up your general fitness levels which will help towards running

trevortrevorslatterfry Tue 12-Jul-16 15:48:49

Well done you on starting the journey flowers.

The hardest part of couch to 5k is getting off the couch so just get used to doing that first.
If you are starting from zero then just make the commitment to go for a walk for 20 mins (or however long you like) 3 times a week. It doesn't matter how far or how long but just get yourself in the routine of doing something regularly. Once the habit is formed (ie the hard bit) then you can just change what you're doing and start the C25k, or anything else.

A running club near me has actually set up regular walking sessions to get people off the couch as a precursor to their C25k sessions for this very reason. If you're in the NE of England OP let me know and I will PM you the details.

Stick in! The journey of 1000 miles 5k starts with a single step flowers

GreenSand Tue 12-Jul-16 15:49:25

You says it's hard, but how much did you manage?
Can you walk for 40 mins (the 30 mins it wants you to end up running, plus warm and cooling times)? If you can walk for 40 mins, you CAN do this.
Try to do the first session again, but run really slowly, and walk one or two running sections if needed.
If walking for 40 mins sounds impossible right now, try and build up to that before C25k

Possibilityofanisland Tue 12-Jul-16 15:52:14

When I started I couldn't jog for 60 seconds without tasting blood! blush

It's took me 3 weeks to complete week 1. It took me 6 weeks to get to week 3. But I keep going and it gets easier
Good luck!!!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 12-Jul-16 15:59:22

Have you got an android phone? I've got a "walking for weight loss" app by redrock apps that works in the same way, split over 6 weeks but is designed for "those that have been on the couch longer than others". It starts you walking and you build up to a jog, then you start the couch to 5k. I'm 21st+ and only done week 1 so far but it really isn't bad.

PippaFawcett Tue 12-Jul-16 19:43:12

Wow! Thank you all for the encouragement, it really does mean a lot.

I am on day two of the first week. I managed it just about today but it was bloody horrible and much harder than I thought as I really thought it was a gentle programme - to me running 8minutes in total today isn't gentle!

trevortrevor, I'm no-where near you but that does sound like what I need. I am doing it at lunchtime at work because I am just so knackered in the evenings that I will never leave the house.

I want to feel energetic again, I have been operating on biscuits and caffeine for too many years.

PippaFawcett Tue 12-Jul-16 19:44:35

Imnotaslim, no, I have got an iPhone but that sounds more like what I need. I worry that if dread going that I will give up too soon.

GreenSand Tue 12-Jul-16 22:16:27

Honestly, if completed the first session, running at the times it's asked you to, your doing really, really well. Don't give up now, your amazing having gone out twice!!
Stick with it. Maybe do the first session a few more times, and then risk session 2. It's running, it's HARD, and your doing it. A whole 8 minutes worth, which is more than a lot of people have ever done. Go girl. Keep running!!

museumum Tue 12-Jul-16 22:22:25

Stick with it. You can do it. Just repeat each week if you need to progress slower.
Finish this week, then do week 1 again next week. If you're not finding it any easier then maybe think about switching to power walking but just give it this go first.

JoyceDivision Tue 12-Jul-16 22:24:21

Op, I started this a few weeks ago, I'm just over 13 stone, I've got to week 5 and I really struggle, the bit that made me think 'Ehh??' was when the lady said if you're feeling the strain go slower and I thought 'I can't go any slower!! I don't think I'm doing it fast enough!!' but go at your own pace.

If you are struggling, stay on week one for two or three weeks until you
are ready to go on to week 2. On week two there is good advice in that wjen you are running (I never ever runm,a best a wobbly jog) imagine there is a hedge next to you and a person is walking at the other side of the hedge. Ideally they should not be able to tell if you are walking or running, you must takeit steady and not be too bouncy

(can any one tell I stuck on week 2 for a while? grin )

Good luck op, take it at your own pace but don't give in!

PippaFawcett Tue 12-Jul-16 22:48:40

Consensus is not to give in then! I have never been this heavy or this unfit so it is HARD. I am also going with a very fit and competitive friend who kept telling me to go faster, I think it might be better for me to go by myself as although she is trying to help, just getting round is my aim at the moment.

JoyceDivision Tue 12-Jul-16 22:55:03

I'm on week 5 after about 10 weeks haha... I CANNOT go faster, and when I try I am totally knackered.

Don't go faster, stick with the pace you can manage, even in you complete C25K at a constant jog / powerwalk... that's fine, you'll do it, you don't need to look like Paula Radcliffe while doing it

On week 3 after I had finished the podcast if I managed to I tried to do an extra run... rather than listen to the warm down I would switch to my own choice of songs pn my phone, walk for2 upbeat songs then jog to a song... that extra effort at the end always finishes the exercise in a good mood and feeling like I'd got one over the very nice helpful lady narrating the session grin

PippaFawcett Tue 12-Jul-16 23:00:06

Yes, I miss music as it takes my mind off things normally. I say that but the last time I ran was 5plus years ago!

Dutchcourage Tue 12-Jul-16 23:02:07

Massive well done op !!!!!!

Just do what you can. It will get easier I swear!!

JoyceDivision Tue 12-Jul-16 23:03:53

Have your music ready to listen to as a treat for finishing the run, keep it upbeat and you might find you keep moving, whether that's walking or jogging, for longer.

Good luck and stick with it! xx

oncetwicetwotimesamummy Wed 13-Jul-16 09:03:14

I started c25k 6 weeks after dd2 was born at 17st. Hadn't run anywhere since school. Finished it in the 9 weeks and ran race for life 5k in 35mins.
You can do it!
The best advice I read was to run slowly. I thought I was running slowly but when I really slowed it down it got much easier to do the long runs. Interestingly the first few weeks are the hardest. By the time you get to the 20min run the 90second ones will seem like a lifetime ago

trevortrevorslatterfry Wed 13-Jul-16 10:40:15

Yep maybe go on your own if your colleague's "encouraging words" are bringing you down!
I'm sure she means well but everyone needs to go at their own pace.

Don't worry about running or going faster - just go! slowly or walking, it's all a step in the right direction flowers

Mov1ngOn Wed 13-Jul-16 10:46:20

I tried at 16 stone and hurt my achilles! I loved it but I'm scared to try again for the same reason. I was advised to do no weight bearing exercises swimming /cross trainer to get weight down and a bit stringer first but it didn't have the same appeal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now