Talk

Advanced search

Thank you runners of MN!

(8 Posts)
Boozena Mon 11-Jul-16 21:59:25

I posted in AIBU a few months ago to ask if you thought I could run (dodgy knee, back and irrational fear of keeling over). After the lovely support and encouragement I downloaded c25k and I did my first 5k on Sunday!
It feels great and I'm hooked on the runners high. I just want to get my time down now (had a quick warm up & cool down walk so it took me 41:25).
So yeah- thank you! I wouldn't have tried it without you smile

Stellar67 Tue 12-Jul-16 07:51:52

Well done!! It's great isn't it.

Migrant2 Tue 12-Jul-16 08:20:28

Congratulations!! Awesome achievement. Is there a Parkrun near you?( Google it). That'd be a fab next step and it's free!

Boozena Wed 13-Jul-16 19:06:25

Thank you! Yes a wonderful feeling- I am working up to doing park run but want to get a couple under my belt first. My hips ached a bit the day after so I've a bit more training to do I think!

Migrant2 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:08:11

Parkrun is very inclusive to all levels. You don't have to run all the way and there's usually a wide range of abilities.
For the achy hips some stretches after your run might help ( cos you're a proper runner now!). You could have a look on google for some or book one session with a Physio and get them to show you some that are specific for you, they could also check you're doing them correctly. Remember rest days are part of training. Well done!

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Wed 13-Jul-16 22:27:11

Yey well done. I didnt see the original thread, but I love stories like this.

I started my 4th attempt at running 4 years ago and still love it and I love when people take it up.

Seriously look into Parkrun. Its not just for "good" runners. Some people walk all the way round. You can see the results on your local page. Our slowest is usually around 45-50 mins so there's no reason why you can't give Parkrun a go. Also it is run by runners so you could maybe get advice about your hips.

Boozena Thu 14-Jul-16 21:22:05

Hmm I didn't think about the advice perspective, good call!
I forgot to stretch after, I was too excited haha. I'm working this Saturday & on jollies after but ill seriously think about it afterwards!

dudsville Sat 16-Jul-16 17:27:12

What wonderful inspiration for a new starter like me. Thanks you for posting OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now