Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to run? Feeling nervous!

(11 Posts)
Honeybeam Sun 26-Jun-16 11:42:01

I want to start running but I have no idea where to actually run blush. I live in a town surrounded by fields. I am embarrassed to run on the main roads as people will see me/ pass me. I know that's a stupid thing to be concerned about but I am so self conscious.
Can anyone tell me where they go? Do you get over the nervousness?

nmg85 Sun 26-Jun-16 11:47:14

I hated it to begin with but then I decided the ones that would judge are those that don't actually make the effort to get out and do it so screw them! I don't run on main roads (mainly as I don't need to). I run between and around some of the local parks, some of that time is on busy paths but it's ok. I found getting an app to follow (I used 5k runner) was essential as it made me try harder. I also created a special playlist with upbeat songs to run to. 80% of the time I felt a massive sense of achievement but you do get odd days you just can't do it or feel crap but don't give up it does get better again. I really want to get to running as I have lost all my stamina now but my knee will probably give up again. Have fun

Beanzmeanzcoffee Sun 26-Jun-16 19:51:14

I totally understand. I wouldn't run on roads either. I know I shouldn't care but it doesn't change the fact I'm too embarrassed. I've only recently started running. At the minute I go to a path along side a river. This week I'm visiting my parents do in planning to run on the beach.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 26-Jun-16 20:54:03

You will get over it.
I live in a similar place to you, small town with fields. So it takes a few streets to get to the rural bits. I cared at first, not so much now. I have been using the Map My Run free app to get ideas for routes and I do tend to plan my route so most of the street stuff is at the start before I look so beetroot coloured. But tbh now I am running 3 miles I don't care because if anyone was wankerish enough to comment they would probably be someone who wasn't capable of running three miles themself.
Actually, I have seen several of the school mums while I have been out and I have never had anything but friendliness and supportive smiles from both them and from other runners who are in all probability miles fitter than me. The other day a man said wistfully 'I wish I could join you' (it was a beautiful evening) and it made me feel very lucky actually to have the freedom/physical fitness to be able to run at all, even slowly and a little way, and like I should make the most of it.
I think what I am getting at overall is that yes it is normal to feel like that, it's fine, but it won't last and actually most of the interactions with other people end up being quite positive and nice, because most people are basically nice really and are thinking good thoughts not bad thoughts, just like you would be x

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 26-Jun-16 20:56:37

Actually, to tell the truth, I did change my route to avoid running past a pub that had lots of tables outside full of people!

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 26-Jun-16 21:20:58

I live in a village, and run on the country roads. I used to walk through the village (past the shop and pub) and only start running when I got into the countryside). Then I thought about my dd, and how I really want to set her the example that all women should feel comfortable to exercise, no matter what their body type. So now I just think stuff it! And run door to door. (And I'm sure no one is remotely interested enough to watch me and form any judgements).
Good luck!

emsyj Sun 26-Jun-16 21:27:35

Yes, you will get over it! I promise. I am fortunate that we live about 30 yards from the sea and there is a long, flat promenade that I can run along (although the wind can be rather, ahem, bracing at times) but when I fancy a change of scene (or the wind reaches Wizard of Oz proportions) I happily run along the main street past cafes, pubs etc. I have my music on super loud so even if I got heckled I wouldn't hear! grin I did once run along the prom carrying a chorizo ring (DH wanted one to cook dinner with and it was easier for me to pick it up whilst I was out running rather than make a separate trip out) and I got shouted at by a group of youths, but I couldn't hear what they were saying over my music. It didn't bother me. I used to be embarrassed going out running but I feel zero self consciousness or shame now. I even sing along out loud to my iPod.

amgine Sun 26-Jun-16 21:31:42

I go really early (5am) - hardly see anyone at that time. Not been brave enough to go much later. I go around town but my husband runs around the local national trust site and that's quiet in the evenings as well.

Bishybishybarnabee Mon 27-Jun-16 15:10:06

I tend to run from park to park, through the university campus and along residential streets. I used to be self conscious but that soon goes. I tend to wear sunglasses, feels more anonymous somehow. Just remember, no one you pass know how far you've already run, or how much further you're going to go.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Mon 27-Jun-16 15:14:33

When I first started running I was doing couch to 5k so wasn't running very far. I would run along a patch of grass behind my house up and down for as long as I needed to. No one could see me there so I built up confidence too.

Now I run on the streets but I stick to residential streets on an estate rather than a main road where lots of people can see me.

dudsville Sat 16-Jul-16 17:59:25

This is a timely thread as I'm new and it's a concern for me. I walked out of my neighbourhood and around the corner before I started running/walking (today was day 1 for me). I think once you are able to run for a bit then, like others have said, no one knows and who cares if anyone's critical, but I can only run a few seconds before having to reduce to walking. I kept saying to myself that of course if anyone was laughing at me then that would just be cruel as I'm trying to do something healthy, but I was still embarrassed. It was helpful to read some positive accounts of this on this thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now