Help! Runners Trots!

(6 Posts)
footballmum Tue 21-Jun-16 18:30:38

Sorry for the TMI topic but I've recently started running again after 2 bunion ops led to an 18 month break. Before my op I generally ran with friends on an evening but their fitness, speed and distance are now far superior to mine so I've started running on my own first thing in a morning. I set my alarm for 5.45am, get dressed, gulp some water down and go straight out. No food, no hot drinks. But I'm finding every time I go if I've not managed to go to the loo before I leave I get hit with the runners trots! It's really affecting my runs because I know I can't go far from home and this morning I had to cut my run short to get back home blush

Has anyone got any tips to avoid this? I've looked on the Internet but all the suggestions are about pre-run food and drink but other than water I'm not eating or drinking anything!

The only thing I can think of doing is running on an evening but I won't be able to run as often due to family commitments and I struggle with motivation at that end of the day.

SlipperyJack Tue 21-Jun-16 21:48:03

Could try having something very light before you go out? Maybe a glass of milk or a smoothie? I get runner's trots if I run on an empty stomach.

BluePitchFork Tue 21-Jun-16 21:54:00

skip the water before the run?
apparently there is a reflex of cold water on an empty stomach.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 27-Jun-16 10:57:24

I had to stop running because of the RTs 😖
Nothing I tried seemed to work. It doesn't happen with taking up walking.

footballmum Mon 27-Jun-16 11:21:09

I ran later in the day on Saturday and was absolutely fine but I'd had some breakfast and been to the loo before I went out. I'm hoping to run again early tomorrow so we'll see how I go. Was going to try the suggestions above and have a glass of milk and a banana to see whether that helps.

Anjelika Tue 28-Jun-16 16:04:26

Hi footballmum. I run in the mornings - either just after school run or around 8am at weekends. I can only run on an empty stomach so can't comment on the glass of milk and banana suggestion. I just have a coffee and a glass of water before I leave the house but I have the same problem as you with the RTs.

I have worked out that if I do need to go (always the case if I haven't managed to go beforehand and quite often the case even if I have been before) it's always around the 20 minute mark. I have 3 routes from my house which all pass either a public toilet or coffee shop or supermarket with loo around the 20 minute mark so that I have places I can stop if I am taken short. Is this an option for you or is your needing the loo a lot less predictable? If I lived out in the country I think I'd need to run for 10 minutes then turn round and head home, pop to the loo and then go out again. I am always reluctant to enter any races because of this though, although to be fair I have done a couple of 10Ks and somehow been OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now