Talk

Advanced search

Really stupid running question. Help me.

(10 Posts)
AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 15-Jun-16 19:53:24

How fast do you run? Do you sprint? Or just a step up from fast walking? I have no idea...

I seem to lack the ability to pace myself at all. I just sprint for as long as I can (not long!) and then sort of fast-walk/die the rest of the way.

My physiotherapist advised me trying to run a mile or two tomorrow to see if I can get round without shin splints. I genuinely don't know how to run. I feel like I've missed the memo on this... even on C25K I'm not sure what to do during the running time!

SandunesAndRainclouds Wed 15-Jun-16 20:27:55

I was always advised to go no faster than a brisk walk at first, until you build speed and stamina.

I've been running 2 years now and know what pace my sprint, fast, steady and warm up paces are when I'm fit and running regularly.

Do you have something like runkeeper or a watch that tells you the paces you've been doing so far?

Wanderingwondering Wed 15-Jun-16 20:31:27

Definitely don't sprint! I was told to jog so that you can still hold a conversation-this will help regulate your breathing and enable you to keep going for longer.
For a 'tempo' run-you should be putting more effort in but still able to say an occaisional word or phrase.
Save the sprinting for interval training and sprint finishes!

mumsnitter Wed 15-Jun-16 20:38:34

Run at a speed where you are able to still hold a conversation at first!

mumsnitter Wed 15-Jun-16 20:39:14

as wandering already said :-)

ModerateBecomingGoodLater Wed 15-Jun-16 20:43:26

Put some music on with about 80 beats per minute. Think slower than "stayin' alive" which is 100 BPM.

Look on Spotify for running tempo lists. Try to run in time with the beat.

Or some running apps do 'cadence' where they beep at you.

Wanderingwondering Wed 15-Jun-16 20:49:42

It's not a stupid question by the way-I didn't know either when I started couch to 5K. I think it's what puts a lot of people off running which is a shame because if you stick to the conversation rule everyone can run-even if that's a slow pace to start with

lljkk Wed 15-Jun-16 21:34:15

I run with a heart monitor & keep my heart rate in specific zones. Very good for teaching me 2 pace myself.

2ManySweets Wed 15-Jun-16 21:36:22

This is barking mad but my internal "running pace" is "Sweet Caroline" by Status Quo.

Apparently this is spot on where a "beginner" should be and my 5k time is a pretty normal 34min.

Lovefromhull Wed 15-Jun-16 22:19:08

Maybe running with others would help- you can match your pace. Park run or a club?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now