Talk

Advanced search

Doing a Race for Life 10k tomorrow..

(14 Posts)
DavetheCat2001 Sat 11-Jun-16 18:05:35

..anyone got any pre-race tips?

I had intended to lay off the booze completely this week gone, but that didn't happen. I am not drinking tonight (much as I would give my right arm for a nice cold glass of Sauvignon), and we are having pasta for dinner as I thought a proper carb hit may help tomorrow?

Should I just have my usual toast and marmite for breakfast? The race is at 11, so presumably if I have breakfast by 8 that gives me lots of time to digest.

Going to take a hat/water/sunscreen.

Anything else?

Thanks for any wise words smile

MelanieCheeks Sat 11-Jun-16 18:09:48

Don't do anything on race day that you haven't done in training. Have you gone for a run before at around 11, having eaten toast and marmite at 8?

How fast/ competitive are you being here? Do you just want to get round safely, or do you have a target time you want to beat?

Is all your gear (that you've tried out on training runs) sitting ready to go? Do you know how to get there? Where to park? Have you attached your number and timing chip? If you use music or a Garmin, is everything charged and ready to go?

Littleelffriend Sat 11-Jun-16 18:11:11

You shouldn't have to prep, it's 10k. Have a glass of wine, I used to think I ran better the next day

DavetheCat2001 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:34:51

Melanie, I've run 10k before, normally having just necked a banana for some quick energy as I tend to do my longer runs early in the morning. I haven't run 10k at that sort of time before, and reckon I'll be starving if I don't eat.
My goal is to get round and try to do it within an hour. I've run 10k before in around 53mins, but on a flattish route and under no pressure. The RFL tomorrow is a hillyish route, so anything within an hour I'd be happy with. To be honest I just want to run the whole course as so many people have kindly sponsored me!
I'll be taking my iPhone with me as I use the Ostrava app, but don't know if I'll listen to music? I suppose it is a long way to run without, but I'm hoping that the atmosphere will keep me going + my OH and 2 DC's will be cheering me on so don't want to miss them!
All my gear/running number is ready to go. We haven't 100% decided whether to drive or get the train yet. I'm leaning towards driving as don't fancy being a sweaty commuter on the way back, but OH is a bit worried about parking.

Littlee - don't say that! I hovered around the wine isle in Sainsbury's earlier but dragged myself away! I know actually that I'd not be able to just have the one glass, and waking up tomorrow with a muzzy head wouldn't be great. I'll make up for it tomorrow night!

lastqueenofscotland Sat 11-Jun-16 19:40:17

If you do a lot of distance running wine before is fine, if you're new to it no. I am the queen (no pun intended) of turning up to parkrun after many many gins and posting a decent time, but I don't like doing it over much further.

I did once run a half marathon pb on a Sunday after loads wine and takeaways on the Friday...

Before a 10k I rarely have breakfast, if I do it's usually a flapjack blush

I'd have a bit of toast early and maybe your usual banana and avoid caffeine till after the race.

DavetheCat2001 Sat 11-Jun-16 19:53:00

Thanks for the tips lastqueen. I have been running for a while and have run 10k a few times. I'll normally have at least half a bottle of wine on a Saturday night and then do a longish run on a Sunday morning, but I thought I'd be good as it's my first race.

Wish me luck! I'm running in my Dad's memory so it means a lot.

Littleelffriend Sat 11-Jun-16 19:58:08

My dad (who ran every day) used to sweat by a few beers and a fag. Good luck, I'm sure your dad will be looking down on you. Let us know how you get on. X

Littleelffriend Sat 11-Jun-16 19:58:28

Swear not sweat

MelanieCheeks Sun 12-Jun-16 06:30:14

Have a good one!

DavetheCat2001 Sun 12-Jun-16 07:00:37

Thanks guys!
Will report back later with my time smile

DavetheCat2001 Sun 12-Jun-16 12:23:52

56 mins in the pissing rain.
Quite chuffed with that!

MelanieCheeks Sun 12-Jun-16 12:49:20

Well done! I have a 10k on Wednesday, and if I can be sub-hour I'll be happy. Toast and marmite did the trick, then?

Littleelffriend Sun 12-Jun-16 13:21:59

Yay well done

DavetheCat2001 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:24:35

haha yes, past marmite and a banana! Oh and a BIG bowl of pasta for dinner last night!
Good luck for your 10k on Wednesday x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now