Talk

Advanced search

Weights at home for beginner

(10 Posts)
georgedawes Tue 07-Jun-16 19:48:20

I would like to strengthen my arms in particular but am a complete novice. Can anyone point me in therror direction of some things I could try at home? I'd quite like not to buy anything yet and just do some very simple exercises to star with if possible but finding google difficult!

bloodypassword Tue 07-Jun-16 20:02:08

Watching with interest - I'm in the same boat

acatcalledjohn Tue 07-Jun-16 20:07:28

If you have a willing cat, how about cattle bell swings? grin

In all seriousness, start doing weights with tins of food or full bottles of drink. Arm raises (front & side), upright rows, standing push ups.

georgedawes Tue 07-Jun-16 20:54:51

I have 2 fairly fat but unfortunately wriggly cats!

I know this is ridiculous but how many repititions should I aim for initially? Told you I was a beginner!!

acatcalledjohn Tue 07-Jun-16 21:52:39

I managed a few cattle bell swings with one very confused cat grin

This may be a good starting point, just use household items for Dumbbells. I normally do classes at the gym and everything is timed, normally 30 second bursts, plus I try to do timed HIIT sessions at home (less than 10 mins for a full circuit on an iPhone app) . When I have done exercise in sets (again in class form) it's normally been in eights, tens or twelves.

KatieKaboom Tue 07-Jun-16 22:09:17

This is a good one from Jillian Michaels- it takes 10-12 mins once you add in the skipping. All you need is a timer (phone is great) and some dumbbells. smile

m.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDCKmgNNyE

Alternatively, here are a couple of fab great workouts from a very brash bigboobed American woman named Jennifer. smile

The first is for biceps and chest.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ujyS2IXoes

The second is for shoulders and triceps.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayv8qOQKCvE

Each takes about half an hour and is quite challenging - but doable!

Good luck.

PuraVida Tue 07-Jun-16 22:21:51

Lurky lurk lurk

DavetheCat2001 Wed 08-Jun-16 09:54:45

I do these 2 workout routines. I have a selection of different weights at home, but she says herself in the 2nd video that you can use tins of food if necessary.
These are great. Not too long and I have really seen a massive difference in my arms.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9ig8oaU6E
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAGfBjvIRFI

princessconsuelabannahammock Wed 08-Jun-16 10:13:11

I recommend push ups, start with easy ones - on your knees and progress to full ones (not that i have ever managed it). You can do them wide arm, hands close together etc - loads of variations on the internet. They really help my arms and are quick and dont require equipment. Look out on gumtree for weights, i bought some kettlebells cheaply. Good luck

georgedawes Wed 08-Jun-16 11:00:12

Thanks so much everyone, these look great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now