Talk

Advanced search

Increasing speed

(4 Posts)
taybert Sun 05-Jun-16 17:41:36

I'm a pretty new runner. I mainly run off road and have been working on increasing distance. I can run about 12k at a comfortable plod and that's fine. Thing is, I'm pretty slow. I'm signed up for a road 10k in about 8 weeks and I'm keen to be a bit quicker. I'm thinking intervals? Any tips? Thanks!

DearTeddyRobinson Sun 05-Jun-16 19:01:35

Yup, interval training, up a hill if you can. Sprint up, walk down, higher each time. You should be able to find a routine if you google?
I believe these are also known as fartleks grin

lljkk Sun 05-Jun-16 19:19:20

I don't know if it's true... but the general advice is to mix the routine up doing different things.

Intervals (max. once a week) Make sure to slow right down inbetween efforts. The going quite slow part matters.
Rest Days.
Hard as you can run (max. once a week)
Long slow plods (as you like)
Hills (if your course will be hilly)

chutneypig Mon 06-Jun-16 06:07:14

I spent ages plodding along at the same pace. I started some interval sessions as part of a HM training plan earlier this year and they had a massive impact within a month. I use a treadmill for those as I am useless at pushing myself but they're not long sessions, say 20/25 minutes total but I do slow right down as lijkk says in between.

Running a hilly route once a week has also helped endurance and keeping the pace going, parkrun in my case. I keep meaning to do proper intervals on a hill but weather has been conspiring against me,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now