Talk

Advanced search

What weight kettlebell?

(7 Posts)
WorkInProgess Mon 23-May-16 16:21:17

I bought a 4kg one to start out and get the hang of the moves. I now find it too light and need to get a bigger one. My initial idea was to move up to 6kg but have just read that anything below 8kg for a woman is too light. And I just can't decide whether to go for 6kg or 8kg.
Any advice?

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 23-May-16 16:30:07

I have just started and I had a 5kg to start with and have now bought a 10kg one. I use the 5kg one for arm work and now I have the technique down I use the 10kg one for swings. I bloody love kettlebells. I have only been at it two weeks and can see the results already.

WorkInProgess Mon 23-May-16 17:24:10

Was it ok doubling the weight for swings?

carrie74 Mon 23-May-16 18:11:32

I have an 8kg one which is the same as the one I use the most with PT. Occasionally we'll up the weight for swings, but usually we're doing a circuit where the 8kg is adequate (and the swings become the recovery time).

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 23-May-16 18:14:41

Doubling was a big step but the 5kg very quickly felt too light and 10kg does seem heavy but as the motion comes from the legs its fine but I can't do as many reps before I lose form. I was surprised by how quickly I progressed.

WorkInProgess Mon 23-May-16 18:59:39

So basically i need to be less of a wuss and go for the 8kg!

princessconsuelabannahammock Mon 23-May-16 21:09:41

I went for a 10kg as I read the same internet resources as you and I was too cheap to buy an 8kg bell then a couple of weeks later buy a 10kg bell!! Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now