Talk

Advanced search

Fitbit virgin

(11 Posts)
hobnobsaremyfave Sun 22-May-16 15:46:28

Got a fitbit charge for my birthday last week.
Finally set it up today.
Thought I might start a thread for me to log how I get on with it and also questions.
Also if any fellow fitbitters care to join me so I get the most out if it.
Just logging steps etc at the mo, no food logging yet.

Pinkvici22 Sun 22-May-16 15:50:11

I can't contribute but I'm really tempted to get one! I don't think I want one that I have to wear on my wrist though.

Interested to hear how you get on.

Zame Sun 22-May-16 16:19:35

I got one in January, it's an amazing motivational tool. I've never wanted to excercise consistanth before but since I've had it I've done my best to at least hit step goal every day and gradually moved up to adding in more exercise each day. I've actually been enjoying excercise! Something I never thought i would

nbee84 Sun 22-May-16 16:48:19

Before I got my fitbit for Christmas 2014 I did no particular exercise. I work with children, so not a couch potato, but would usually just sit on my arse all evening once I got home from work and weekends were just housework, shopping and the odd lunch/evening out with friends.

As soon as I got it I upped my walking to make sure I hit my 10k of steps - which was easy enough as I was finding an average work day (on my feet for most of it) was over 8k, so I started aiming for 15k of steps and of course had to be more active on a weekend. I loved the app on my phone and checked my stats reguarly. Then I discovered the challenges you can have against fitbit friends and discovered I have a competitive side to me grin I started walking to the shops, toddler groups, swimming and before I knew it I was walking 4 - 5 miles at a time. I was very round shouldered and walking this far was giving me upper back pain between my shoulder blades so after googling decided to try some pilates classes. These were at the local gym and I worked out that if I did at least 2 classes a week it was cheaper to be a member than pay for each class. As a member I could do as many classes as I wanted so after a few weeks of pilates and feeling fitter from my walking I started to do other classes like Zumba and body pump and built up to things like spinning, hiit and circuit training.

I'm 46 and fitter than I've ever been. These days I tend to fit my life around exercise rather than fit exercise into my life. Over the years I've owned various bits of fitness equipment - bike, stepper, sit up bars etc. Who would have known a little step counter worn around my wrist would be the most effective!

Good luck with your fitbit and aim high grin

dataandspot Sun 22-May-16 16:55:11

Which Fitbit would people recommend?

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 22-May-16 17:56:22

Wow nbee that's fab.
I am 42 and worried that I will just slump into weight gain and lethargy so this is my motivator I hope.

tribpot Sun 22-May-16 18:07:02

I've found mine invaluable whilst I've been working from home. I can do 10K pretty easily when I'm in the office but at home, particularly if I've no school run to do that day, it would be easy to manage less than 2. I really recommend Fitbit or similar to home workers to make sure you stay active.

nbee84 Sun 22-May-16 18:51:07

dataandspot - I had the fitbit charge and would avoid that one. The strap fell apart on mine after 10 months and they aren't replaceable. I didn't bother replacing it as it had got me into good habits so I now longer wear it (and am still exercising smile) I'm sure some of the others are fine and have different/better straps.

nbee84 Sun 22-May-16 18:55:27

Thanks hobnobs - it did help that my own children are now old enough that I didn't need to find childcare or fit exercising around their activities. Also dh got a new job that involved the odd evening working so I knew I needed to do something as when I'm home alone I sit and eat - sweet stuff mainly. I still do a bit of that but doing all this exercise motivates me to eat well most some of the time and helps to burn off the calories when I do indulge.

hobnobsaremyfave Thu 26-May-16 20:53:04

Ok going well here
Have hit 10,000 every day
Done a couple of runs as well which i have logged.
Tried logging food but finding it of a faff but it is making me think more about what goes in grin

nbee84 Fri 27-May-16 22:06:21

Well done! Aim for 12k this week grin

I was logging food on MFP but gave up after a few weeks as it made no difference to my weight and made me think about food too much. I went back to eating by appetite and trying to eat more of the good stuff and less sugar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now