Tiredness... ugh, the tiredness! Is it normal? Or, is it a medical thing?

(5 Posts)
EssCee Wed 18-May-16 17:55:11

I decided to get fit at the start of the year, and have been working out regularly since. I wasn't unfit to begin with, but didn't have a set regime or focus (mainly did lots of dog walking).

The problem is, after a session, I can get really very tired - as in, so tired that I feel that I can go to bed.

My workout schedule goes like this:

Tuesday - boxercise class
Wednesday - body combat
Thursday - 5k run
Sunday - body combat

I do push myself and feel capable of doing so at the time. I feel healthy generally. But after harder sessions, I can really run out of steam a few hours later.

Does anyone else get very, very tired? Is it quite normal???? It doesn't seem to be for anyone else I know in RL.

I’m not sure if it’s maybe a medical thing. When I was pregnant with DD, I was told that I was an alpha thalassaemia carrier, so I wondered if this is anything to do with it. The midwife didn’t think it would have any impact though on anything - there was never any kind of follow up.

Any thoughts, opinions etc. on managing tiredness would be much appreciated!

Teaandsymphony Wed 18-May-16 19:53:37

I've been wondering the same too. I just started boxercise on a Tues & running 2/3 times a week. I'm falling asleep on the train to and from work ever since, can't keep my eyes open! Hoping my body will adjust soon, I'm definitely getting fitter. Hope the same for you too xxx

jubileepancakes Wed 18-May-16 20:27:49

Just wondered whether you're eating enough to fuel all the exercise?

I walk, run and train quite a bit and I certainly notice if I've had a busy day and not eaten much.

Spam88 Wed 18-May-16 20:42:19

Are you eating enough to make up for the energy you're using up working out? Maybe try eating a banana or something after a workout?

EssCee Wed 18-May-16 22:06:47

Teaandsymphony - it's very off-putting, isn't it? One of my classes is on a Sunday, and we pretty much always have commitments afterwards as a family... and it's a bit of an effort to get through it, oftentimes...

jubileepancakes and Spam88 - maybe not... one of my classes is on a Sunday morning, so I do have maybe 2 bananas, as it's quick. Then, I fuel up afterwards. Maybe I do need more carbs beforehand though. That said, I am only quite petite, so burn only like 400-ish cals for quite an intense workout. So, I don't want to be eating tons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now