whoop whoop just managed my first mile!!! (brand new to running)

(5 Posts)
startingtolooklikemother Tue 10-May-16 13:15:14

Hello all, I've started the couch to 5k a couple of weeks ago and I've just run my first EVER mile!! I should also add that 2 years ago I was over 4 stone overweight and although I have still a stone to lose, I'm slowly doing it.
I want to get up to 5k running, how long did it take you and I would love to hear your beginners running stories, especially if you've gone from zero to 10k and beyond

Zame Tue 10-May-16 15:58:18

Ah well done you! Feels amazing doesn't it!
I used the couch to 5k app at the end of January,I think it's about 9 weeks long? It's really helpful.
Now I'm using the zen labs 10k trainer,I'm thinking that once I can run the 10k I'll switch my focus to improving speed and technique rather than increasing distance again.

MrsMook Wed 11-May-16 22:25:44

I went from wk3 C25k to the first 5k between the New Year and mid-March. I signed up for an 8.5 mile fun run in early June, surprised myself by running it all, then got conned into a half marathon in the October!

Once you get going, it's amazing how quickly the distance can progress!

startingtolooklikemother Thu 12-May-16 09:19:53

Wow, half marathon that's amazing!!! I can definitely feel that each time I go out there is an improvement which is so encouraging. Did you go and have your trainers specially fitted in a running shop? I'm a bit rural so not sure where my nearest will be, I'm going to buy some new trainers but I don't think I need fancy pants ones or do I?

BlueChampagne Thu 12-May-16 13:33:14

Good work!

Running shop trainers vs high street ones is a vexed question. I go to my local running shop because I've had a couple of injuries in the past, and 2 sessions with a physio can equal the price of a pair of trainers! Useful to know where your nearest one is at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now