Talk

Advanced search

Incredibly tight hamstrings

(5 Posts)
knowler Thu 05-May-16 13:38:18

Hi all. I have always had very very tight hamstrings - even as a child I can remind PE etc being tricky because of it. I've recently taken up running and yoga, so am trying to incorporate good stretching into my daily routine but nothing seems to help. I've just had a BUPA health check and the nurse confirmed how tight they were, impairing my flexibility, but didn't suggest anything beyond stretching them.

does anyone have any tips? I would love to feel more flexibility and 'looser' in the leg.

RunnerOnTheRun Thu 05-May-16 13:57:50

I literally just finished a workout at home and it ended with holding the Runners Pose (yoga) for 2 mins each side. I copied YouTuber Yoga with Adriene. Amazing pose! Try it, but it sounds like you'll be to consistently work on it to feel benefits.

BabyGanoush Thu 05-May-16 14:01:01

How tall are you?

My osteo says tall people tend to have tighter hamstrings, which can pull their back out of balance.(Am 6ft)

He suggested sittingonthe floor with a straight back and your legs in from of you, when watching telly.

knowler Thu 05-May-16 15:05:28

I'm 5 foot 7, so not particularly tall. Even sitting on the floor with my legs out the front will be uncomfortable - is the idea to persevere with it to lengthen them?

I'll try the Runner's Pose as well!

JapanNextYear Thu 05-May-16 15:08:01

The yoga will make a huge difference, I do Pilates which I think, for me, is a bit better than yoga for stretching. I also do circuits twice a week. That has all greatly increased the flexibility in my hamstrings. I'm still not very flexible but much better than I was.

I should do stretches at home too but I'm crap without the motivation of a class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now