Just contacted a personal trainer.

(21 Posts)
Perfectlypurple Tue 03-May-16 14:28:22

I joined the gym a couple of weeks ago. I have been going but not as much as I should with shifts etc, and a very fit friend has recommended a personal trainer after I said I was going to think about getting one. Although the plan was to lose weight first and then get one.

I haven't been sleeping and that is putting me off going to the gym as often so I decided to get over the embarrassment of my weight and get some info now on price, what it involves etc so that I can start as I mean to go on.

He was busy so is going to call me this evening and feeling nervous about it. I know he won't say anything awful about my weight, but I am mortified at how bad it has got.

Has anyone else got experience of personal trainers? Looking for some positive stories.

RosieposiePuddingandPi Tue 03-May-16 14:33:44

I have a personal trainer on top of going to a normal fitness group class a couple of times a week.
I'm pretty big and unfit but that's what he's there for! I love working out with him and he has never once made me feel like I should be embarrassed (except when I've done genuinely stupid things that I should be embarrassed for).

Don't worry about working out with your trainer, he's there to get you fit so he's not going to expect you to be super fit already! smile

Perfectlypurple Tue 03-May-16 14:42:35

Thank you. That helps.

RJnomore1 Tue 03-May-16 14:45:31

Just a work of advice - look for a trainer who has REPS membership as that means they are properly trained and have the right insurance. Anyone can call them self personal trainer with no qualificTions required.

And yes I've trained with quite a few over the years and they really do help with technique and motivation. It's usually a good idea to have your goals worked out (lift more, lose weight, run faster...whatever..) and try them for a session or two to see how you gel.

NewYearSameMe Tue 03-May-16 15:02:01

I've had personal trainers for ages (one for nearly 3 years and another for about 5 years). I started when we were adopting for a second time and I was deemed too fat to adopt. I really enjoy it, it has to be the right trainer though. There have been times when I have temporarily been with another trainer because my main one has been away competing or on holiday and not all of them have been the right personality for me.

Don't wait until you've lost weight, most trainers get a kick out of seeing their clients shrinking or being able to do things that they couldn't do before. I can guarantee that you won't be the most overweight or the most unfit client that they've had.

I like trainers that have a sport, because I want to train mostly for function rather than vanity, but also because they are less likely to push me too far and risk injury. I also like them to have ongoing studies, more than just a basic PT qualification, including some anatomy-based qualifications like sports massage. I also like them to have a sense of humour, preferable a dark and evil one. And I don't do well with shouty, sgt major types, I tend to get cross and shout back and that really doesn't work. grin

MsMarvel Wed 04-May-16 07:03:42

I was exactly in the same position as you last october. I tooj out a gym membership in an attempt to get my fitness from zero to something passable as healthy. Ibvery quickly realised i needed more help than me wondering around a gyn totally out of my comfort zone.

Decided I would get a trainer for a month to show me the ropes and then get on with it myself.

7 months later I still see her once a week, and would be totally lost without her. Gone from 35% to 30% body fat, lost 2 inches off my hips and 2.5 off my waist and dropped about half a stone.

I do a lot of weights amd resistance training with my PT which I wouldnt have attempted myself and loveing how toned im getting, and noticing the improvements in my general health and fitness. Yesterday at my PT session I managed to do 15 full pressups, when i first started I could barely do one.

Definately recommend it, but agree it needs to he the right one. I like mine because she is nice to me, but my DP chose his because he wants someone to shout at him!

Perfectlypurple Thu 12-May-16 07:21:34

Quick update.

The first personal trainer I contacted didn't get back to me when he said he would. I then looked again at ones attached to my gym and found a female personal trainer who I was drawn to as I think I would feel more comfortable with a female. I emailed her and she didn't initially get back to me but it turns out she was away, anyway, I had a long chat to her on the phone and she seems lovely. I have my consultation and first session tomorrow morning. I am nervous as it will involve weighing and measuring but I am determined. I am starting with 2 sessions a week then going down to 1 when I feel more confident. She will tell me what I need to do on the days I do it on my own. I also have lots of kit at home, kettle bells etc so will do that in the evenings when I don't go to the gym.

I know tomorrow I will be upset at my measurements but looking forward to seeing them go down.

Eastpoint Thu 12-May-16 07:26:07

That sounds really promising, well done.

Perfectlypurple Fri 13-May-16 12:50:23

I'm back from the first session. The weighing and measuring was awful but the rest ok. I have to eat more. I did feel sick towards the end and I thought I was going to pass out but that was because I stupidly didn't eat breakfast. I won't make that mistake again. I have the next session booked in for Wednesday and she is sending me some mini programs to do at home. Glad I bit the bullet and did it.

UnityBlottisaTosser Fri 13-May-16 16:39:48

I'm glad it went well. smile The first few sessions are usually the worst until your body gets into the swing of regular exercise. After my very first session my legs were so stiff that lowering myself to the loo seat was agony.

Perfectlypurple Fri 13-May-16 16:44:13

Thank you. I don't feel too bad at the moment but I am sure I will wake up sore. I need to change what I eat too but for the moment she has said continue what I am doing just to up the calories. I am going to try and stay away from processed stuff though and increase the calories with healthy food. I also have to have isotonic drinks when I exercise that I can make uk myself so some of the extra calories will be used on that. I am determined to do this, but this time do it the proper way instead of doing cardio non stop. I was surprised at how much of a work out I had doing weights and cardio instead of just cardio. I told her she was like Gillian Michaels from the biggest loser as she kept telling me to increase the resistance in the cross trainer!

Tomorrowisanewday Fri 13-May-16 16:59:07

I get far more out of breath doing weights than cardio now. Yesterday I managed to squat 40kgs - and although I was very pleased with myself, my bum doesn't half hurt today!!

Perfectlypurple Fri 13-May-16 17:00:27

I have loads of weights at home so I can do a session when I have less time and hoping it really makes a difference.

iemma321q Fri 13-May-16 17:05:42

Can I be cheeky and ask how much does a personal trainer cost?

Perfectlypurple Fri 13-May-16 17:20:54

They do vary. Average £25-£35 an hour. Mine does discount for block bookings. I paid £135 for 5 sessions - it's all I could afford. That takes me up to pay day then after that I will block book 10 sessions for £250. It is a lot of money but hoping it will be worth it.

iemma321q Fri 13-May-16 17:27:13

Well good luck with it. Make sure you let us know how you get on!

timeforheroes Fri 13-May-16 17:29:44

I have a personal trainer. It's been pretty life changing for me personally. I've lost 2 stone and have another 1 to go, what I've found is that I've started enjoying exercise which I never did before. I look forward to going. We do a lot of HIIT stuff and have just started sparring/boxing which I love. She's also written me a programme to follow throughout the week and we do challenges together like for example "The 4 week body weight challenge", she's been the motivation I needed. I see her once a week and go to circuit classes and follow her programme too, I only have Sundays off but that's because I enjoy it so much now.

Perfectlypurple Sat 14-May-16 06:45:14

I'm very sore today. Sure it will pass though.

MsMarvel Sat 14-May-16 08:20:20

After my first few sessions i was in agony for about 3 days afterwards. As long as its 'good' sorr rather than injury sore, then its all good!

Im back to getting quite a lot of pain after a PT workout because we've moved to doing upper body and lower body on seperate days, rather than full body in an hour. Im feeling the difference!

kate326 Tue 17-May-16 17:12:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Perfectlypurple Tue 17-May-16 23:14:35

Don't know what the deleted comment was. Strange thread to do it on anyway!

Have my second session in the morning. Have been doing strength training after work and this morning did cardio and weights. I still ache a tiny bit but getting better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now