Talk

Advanced search

New commuter bike: is the Claude Butler Explorer a good option?

(11 Posts)
PinkCloudDweller Sun 01-May-16 15:35:14

My commute is about 3 miles each way on reasonably good roads, although there is one bad stretch with quite a few potholes. I've been to a good local bike shop and the Claude Butler Explorer looks fab, is light and seems pretty good. I don't know anybody who owns one and haven't been able to find much feedback online, so I thought I would ask for some here.

If this is not the best bike, which one would you recommend? Thanks.

YvaineStormhold Sun 01-May-16 15:39:20

I got a Gazelle City Paris yesterday and I absolutely love it.

TrixieBernadette Sun 01-May-16 15:43:50

The Gazelles I've tried have been lovely to ride, I'd love one if commuting was an option for me (roll on kids in secondary not needing lifts daily!)

PinkCloudDweller Sun 01-May-16 17:27:34

Aren't the Gazelles a bit heavy, though?

YvaineStormhold Sun 01-May-16 18:36:20

Some are, with really massive frames, but the one I've got isn't. It's an absolute pleasure to ride.

TrixieBernadette Sun 01-May-16 18:40:34

The newer styles out this year are lighter, they were traditionally heavier, especially the electric bikes, but the newer frames aren't that heavy. They feel solid and safe, and I like the position for a commuting ride. (I also love some of the colours and patterns I admit, I have a hybrid currently but if I had the space and money i would add a gazelle)

PinkCloudDweller Sun 01-May-16 19:17:43

They are certainly beautiful... they remind me of my two trips to the Netherlands. What a civilised country - everybody on their bikes, with their shopping, kids, whatever (and my goodness, aren't Dutch men gorgeous...).

So. What was I talking about? Ah, yes - the Gazelle. A strong possibility.

YvaineStormhold Sun 01-May-16 19:18:10

I love the high riding position.

I went out for a ride this morning and I could see over the hedgerows! It makes me feel safer, being a bit high up.

And the seat is really comfortable too, which makes it all the more pleasant <winces at memory of old bike>

YvaineStormhold Sun 01-May-16 19:19:33

Ha! It was a trip to the Netherlands that led to my Gazelle purchase! well, dp's

It was an expensive trip, that. So far it's cost us a Gazelle, a Krups nespresso machine and a ton of stroopwaffels grin

YvaineStormhold Sun 01-May-16 19:21:08

my lovely Giselle the Gazelle

TrixieBernadette Sun 01-May-16 23:28:58

I can't link very well, but these are the pretty ones I like

https://www.gazellebikes.co.uk/bikes/classic/

The orange range is meant to be good as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now