Talk

Advanced search

Dusting off the trainers

(205 Posts)
SharingMichelle Sun 24-Apr-16 16:39:44

A support thread for anyone trying to get back into running or starting for the first time. Would love to have a bit of company.

I used to run quite a bit, though nothing impressive (managed a 1/2 marathon at my peak). Then I did far too much too soon after having my 3rd baby, and buggered my knees. Have not run for about 3 years.

Am just getting back to it now. Gently does it. Am terrified of hurting myself again. Have been seeing a PT with the goal of getting strong enough in all the right places to run regularly again.

Went for my first run on Friday. Aiming for 10 mins (PT instruction) but really enjoyed it and ran for 20. Didn't get very far though!!

2nd run was yesterday. 15 minutes, pitiful distance, lots of hills.

Looking forward to running again on Tues.

CointreauVersial Sun 24-Apr-16 16:48:02

Well, this is very timely!

I did Couch25K about six years ago, and kept up the running right up until last autumn, getting up early and running 4-5k every three days. Suddenly last October I kind of went off it; there were a couple of rainy days when I didn't fancy going out, then I had a bit of a cold, blah blah blah......all of a sudden six months have gone by and I'm completely out of the habit.

I really must start again. I think I will probably go back to Couch25K, but maybe week 3 or 4, to ease me back in - I very much doubt I'd manage 5k straight off. Hopefully a support thread will give me the kcik up the arse I need.

Fraggled Sun 24-Apr-16 16:49:37

I'm in! Redoing c25k after 4 years of laziness. I started at week 3 and it was just about right. My next run will be Tuesday and will be starting week 4.

2ndSopranosRule Sun 24-Apr-16 16:53:26

Can I join? I randomly signed up to a 10km in January having never run before because I wanted to do something to help a charity that has helped a friend. I won't go into details but her family has been badly affected by an illness and I sort of wanted to challenge myself because that family faces challenges every minute of the day. Corny but true!

Anyway, I started the C25k in January and whizzed through it. I've found I really enjoy running and although my speed is woeful, my stamina is pretty good.

I'm only a couple of km off 10 now and I think I have a shot of not dropping down dead. I really don't think people realise how far I've come.

woody2976 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:12:07

wonderful!

im right back at the start. 18 months ago i did a 10k. since then shin splints have buggering me up sad OH bought me a running machine for Xmas. I went on it today after few weeks off, been ill then holiday, always an excuse. miss outdoor running though. i used to love just going out my front door and going for a run but we have moved now and i have to drive to a safer spot if i want to run outside. also it really hurts my shins.

woody2976 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:12:58

oh and i was rubbish today could only for 30 secs its boring on the treadmill isnt it!!

SharingMichelle Sun 24-Apr-16 19:08:32

Hooray! Company smile

Liking the idea of starting on week 3 of c25k.

Last time I did c25k I got fed up with his choice of music. Is it still terrible?

woody2976 Sun 24-Apr-16 19:48:22

it said in BBC marathon coverage today that the beeb has done its own c to 5 k app?

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 24-Apr-16 20:06:54

sharingmichelle, there are loads of apps where you can use your own music. I use the fitness22 one (for iPhone). You can play your own audio with it, music, audiobooks, podcasts, whatever you like.

indigo88 Sun 24-Apr-16 20:22:08

bugger! I'm in. I'm 53 and certainly not built for running - more mowing the lawn. I live with chronic pain and ran a lot very slowly ten years back as a way to manage it. I'm going to do return to running very slowly, lots of brisk walking to start with and follow C25K. There's a strong running club in my town which also organises a half and full marathon in April. So lots of encouragement available.

Maplestirrup Sun 24-Apr-16 20:41:24

Count me in. I could do with a push. I have the get running app, which works on building up time, not distance. I have just started jogging (and I use that term loosely!) for 20 min with no break. No idea of distance run, but it won't be far as I am v slow.

CointreauVersial Sun 24-Apr-16 22:39:21

I need to sort myself out with an app.

When I first did C25K six years ago I ran with an MP3 player (remember them?! grin) and dear old Robert Ullrey. I quite liked all his spacy new age electropop - strangely hypnotic - but I think I could do better.

wohmum Sun 24-Apr-16 22:43:38

I've just started c25k again, using the Nhs app . I remember doing it with Robert first time round smile
Wk 2, run 2 tomorrow and looking forward to it!

woody2976 Sun 24-Apr-16 22:52:05

what running songs are we all currently listening to?

CointreauVersial Sun 24-Apr-16 23:11:20

I use Spotify - if you search in Playlists you'll find lots of running ones.

SharingMichelle Mon 25-Apr-16 05:09:41

On my last run Stronger by Kanye came on. Really cheered me up and got me going for the final push.

SharingMichelle Mon 25-Apr-16 05:11:14

Ahhh Robert Ullrey grin

So when you lot talk about doing c25k you're not actually talking about Robert?

Fraggled Mon 25-Apr-16 05:27:56

I also use the Get Running app with my own music. I need my own music to keep me focused and energised!

Maplestirrup Mon 25-Apr-16 07:25:54

Fraggled - what app do you use once you get to the last run on get running. Or do you just keep replaying the final run?
I think I need a way of speeding myself up and I am not sure which app is best for that - any recommendations? I will need an app to tell me what to do! If I have someone in my ear telling me what to do I generally get on with it, if I have to do it from my own doing I just never do it.

cherrytree63 Mon 25-Apr-16 07:33:39

Woody, I tried to start running about a year ago and found that my shins were in agony after a few strides.
Turned out my vit d levels were really low (which seems to be quite common) and sore shins and sternum can be symptoms.
I've been going to a local running club which takes you through the c25k and cheers you through your first Park run at the end of the course, it's been brilliant!

SharingMichelle Mon 25-Apr-16 08:13:11

Well hmph.

PT has said NO to running three times a week.

He says twice a week max at the moment.

woody2976 Mon 25-Apr-16 09:31:28

twice is better than no times a week!!! that's interesting about the vit d levels. love the idea of a park run. think that's my aim!!

YesILikeItToo Mon 25-Apr-16 09:37:51

When I started again some time had passed and I had had a child. I found I was getting knee pain, went to get new ones at one of those shops where they watch you running along the pavement. The lady said much had changed and the new shoes would help with the knees. They did!

Fraggled Mon 25-Apr-16 10:15:30

Maple I also use run keeper alongside get running, and once o completed the get running program I just used that. I also loved run zombie run (I think that's what it was called).

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Apr-16 12:55:12

I did a couple of Park Runs last summer (shortly before my six month hiatus) but I didn't really enjoy them, mainly because my pace is soooo glacial.

I know it's not supposed to be competitive, but when you are overtaken by pensioners, nine year olds, buggies, and small dogs on leads it does knock one's confidence a little bit. grin At least as I ladyjog around my village at the crack of dawn no-one really knows how slow I am!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now