Advanced search

Is this an age thing?

(8 Posts)
lorelei9here Sun 24-Apr-16 11:55:09

I've been a regular exerciser my whole adult life
I turned 40 last year
I tend to mix up my workouts for variety etc

I have asthma so I do find that my ability varies in cardio
However, yesterday I did a workout that about six months ago would have left me fine the next day, it was meant to be an easy day

But I have major DOMS today, not something I normally get from an easy workout. And my knees hurt. Is this age related? I did notice when I lifted heavier weights, towards the end of last year, I was much more tired than I normally would be doing a weight increment increase. I thought that perhaps I had just hit my limit bit now I'm wondering if I'm ageing?!

I have colleagues in their 30s who complain of aches and pains etc just doing normal stuff.

Anyone else experienced this? I never think of 40 as being old but this morning I'm like, WTF.!

lorelei9here Sun 24-Apr-16 16:48:16

Bump

Gymboree567 Wed 27-Apr-16 15:53:49

I hope not! I'm nearly 38, I like it when I get doms, I feel I've achieved something, but as for aches and pains as you get older i don't know, maybe you just over did it a bit, sorry I'm not much more help x

lljkk Wed 27-Apr-16 19:58:00

why not say sore muscles if you mean sore muscles (DOMS jargon)
I dunno if it's an age thing. Bodies are strange things. Don't rely on them to always respond the same as before.

Anglaise1 Thu 28-Apr-16 08:49:18

I'm 50 and started running 3 years ago. I rarely have aches and pains even after a marathon and run around 60 miles a week. I think we all have good and bad days but I'm not sure age has anything to do with it. Getting enough sleep, eating properly and keeping the body properly hydrated are all important in minimising pain during exercise.

RunnerOnTheRun Thu 28-Apr-16 12:39:10

DOMS are a sign of weakness (don't shoot me!) it actually indicates that you have worked enough to cause adaptation (change/growth). It also means that next time you need to work a little bit harder - always look to the next step. Never settle at the same thing or adaptation won't carry on happening. I know that wasn't exactly your question but if you had a rest since the last time you could lift like you did today then that is why you are feeling it now. In the break you suffered "the process of reversibility" literally, you reversed your strength. Now you have to gain it back.

lorelei9again Sat 30-Apr-16 18:10:39

sorry, I NC'd, but it is lorelei9here!

Thanks all

Runner, I do know what you mean, but the point is, I don't settle at things, I always do mix it up. The thing I mentioned when I increased my weights again last year - I should have explained it better - I've never had an incremental increase seem like a problem in terms of DOMS - I adapted pretty quickly but it was quite full on.

Then I've increased since, been doing regular mixed up workouts and the other day, did something that's normally part of the rotation but which I hadn't done for a while. When I haven't done it for a while, the first time it comes back round on the rotation, it doesn't usually cause a problem.

there's soreness and there's sitting in the office next day thinking WTF did I do?!

anyway, after posting this I took it easy for a week then did my first hard workout today. I think that was actually fine. So maybe I needed a rest, I don't know...confusing.

RunnerOnTheRun Sat 30-Apr-16 18:58:32

Definitely! SO great that you are listening to your body, trying new tactics (extra rest) and then noticing how you feel. So many people don't do this. No wonder you're so fit and healthy and strong! In any training program there will always be blips and questions. That's how athletes become athletes, it is never from zero to success in one straight move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now