Talk

Advanced search

my 1st park run tomorrow - bricking it!

(15 Posts)
wickedfairy Fri 15-Apr-16 11:23:19

Have recently finished c25k and have my first park run tomorrow - am absolutely bricking it! Have only run on Tarmac, this is grass. Am worried I won't be able to finish it (at all possibly, or ideally without stopping). Have managed a few 5k since finishing the app, will I be ok?

I usually run at night and the few times I have tried to run in the daytime, I have found it very difficult - possibly it's all in my head though....

paap1975 Fri 15-Apr-16 11:25:41

I'm sure you'll be fine. There will be plenty of other people just like you there. Grass is more pleasant to run on than tarmac too. Also, I find the distraction of having lots going on around me makes the run go by much faster. Enjoy!

eckythumpenallthat Fri 15-Apr-16 11:26:09

You will be absolutely fine smile parkrun is so supportive and inclusive. Yes there are a handful that may well treat it like a 5k Olympic final but there a social runners, run/walkers, pram runners people that just walk. It's fab! Take it at your own pace don't put pressure on yourself and enjoy being out in the fresh air for a bit smile

mumsnitter Fri 15-Apr-16 15:14:39

Park Run is lovely - you will so be fine, there are people of all ages and paces there. Have fun !!!

mumsnitter Fri 15-Apr-16 15:15:04

well done with the C25K too

CMOTDibbler Fri 15-Apr-16 15:20:07

You'll be fine. I go to a big parkrun, and last week the fastest person went round in 17.59, the last 53.29, and they all got clapped and told well done (I was doing finish tokens, so I saw it all) the same.
Listen to the race briefing, don't go off too fast, and enjoy it!

wickedfairy Fri 15-Apr-16 19:51:41

Thank you all! It's been pouring here all day and the park run was cancelled last week due to mud and potential ground damage. Here's hoping it isn't tomorrow. Will update afterwards!

wickedfairy Sat 16-Apr-16 12:59:11

I did it! It was a mud bath and I was very tired towards the end but finished in just over 33minutes, so very pleased! smile

FlightlessBird Sat 16-Apr-16 15:38:28

Well done!
Same again next week?

cheapandcheerful Sat 16-Apr-16 15:41:49

Ahh well done! That's the same as my first ever parkrun time! I'm aiming for under 30 minutes by September... smile

cheapandcheerful Sat 16-Apr-16 15:42:39

I recently switched to my new local parkrun which is also grass and I really recommend investing in some trail shoes if you plan to make it a regular thing.

CMOTDibbler Sat 16-Apr-16 16:11:35

Well done! Did you enjoy going?
Trail shoes are a good investment - both for the grip and they dry much better as well

wickedfairy Sat 16-Apr-16 16:29:53

I am going next week but unfortunately can't make every week due to mine and DHs work commitments, which is a shame.

Still, I plan to go whenever possible and continued with my own runs too. Got to get fit! Thanks for the support!

swampytiggaa Sat 16-Apr-16 18:42:30

Well done! I did my second parkrun today - third ever run outside. I took two minutes off my total and finished in 33.30 minutes.

wickedfairy Sun 17-Apr-16 13:57:45

Wow Swampy, 2 minutes quicker is amazing! Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now