Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone doing obstacle races/mud runs?

(15 Posts)
randomsabreuse Tue 12-Apr-16 10:54:58

Have signed up for a Pretty Muddy Race for Life and had a play with a local mud run. Great fun, much less boring than a "flat" 5k but there were a couple of things I failed to think of.

Issue 1: underwear. Soggy cotton knickers not pleasant - up to waist in a lake/crawling through puddles under cargo nets makes a drenching unavoidable!

Issue 2: Hair control - normally little wispy bits not an issue, until they're muddy and trying to get in your mouth and you know exactly where your hands have been. Will try a sweat band next time!

Hints and tips appreciated and suggestions on training to step up in distance would be welcome too. Did pretty well at my first 5k (ever) at 8 months post partum but am keen to step up soon!

CMOTDibbler Tue 12-Apr-16 11:01:53

I don't do them, but I do do triathlons which have some of the same problems.

1. I'd do either two layer trail shorts, or the same thing by wearing lycra shorts or capris under looser shorts, no pants. A non cotton bra - look for tri recommended bras on Boobydoo or Less Bounce.

2. Plaits. Mine start from my parting and go either way round my head to the back, then I band them together. Nothing budges french plaits done that way

randomsabreuse Tue 12-Apr-16 11:05:29

Thanks. Bra choice is entirely limited by restraint properties - 32J and cotton bras just don't mix! Will play with the plaits to try and get the technique sorted in time - keep thinking about Triathlon but am terrified of cycling on the roads!

backwardpossom Tue 12-Apr-16 18:02:44

Plenty off-road triathlons. Although they tend to be open-water swims.

GeekLove Tue 12-Apr-16 18:09:13

I rub my hair with coconut oil and braid it beforehand. Wear capris under running shorts, no pants. Non cotton sports bra under UV swim shirt to keep the sun off and that it dries quick. Do not wear anything cotton!

I'm doing the Rat Race in a month!

CMOTDibbler Tue 12-Apr-16 20:08:51

If its the riding on the road in a race you don't like the thought of, then there are a few tris with closed roads or circuits. The Dorney lake ones are very good as the lake is shallow, warm and easy to navigate in, and the bike course is one side of the lake, run the other. Makes it super fast too!

randomsabreuse Tue 12-Apr-16 20:50:35

Actually it's the road bike training that scares me most! Rat Race (is that the Burghley one?) sounds like a good future ambition!

GeekLove Thu 14-Apr-16 10:12:03

Rat Race is the Burleigh House one! Wonder what I'm letting myself in for!

Also while it is comfy to go commando under running leggings/capris, I second the running shorts over the top since (a) they are seldom as opaque as you think and (b) leggings do split, particularly on certain obstacles if you're unlucky.

GeekLove Thu 21-Apr-16 18:56:05

Only 16 days to go until the Rat Race! Will all that water and mud sap even my mighty constitution over 20 miles?

randomsabreuse Thu 21-Apr-16 22:25:07

I just saw a weather forecast and am worried - cold snap pushing into May!! Not good for Weston. Hope it warms up for the rat race!

GeekLove Mon 25-Apr-16 08:28:47

Yeah, it doesn't look like it's going to warm up before the Rat Race!

randomsabreuse Sun 01-May-16 13:31:41

Weston was fun but sleet/hail before/ after was less fun. Keep thinking about stepping up to 10k but get the impression that 10k is where people start taking it seriously.

Race for Life was much more sanitised than my first run - no brambles, nettles or lakes!

Tips were great, no hair eaten and much more comfortable!

Good luck with the rat race - hope it warms up for you!

GeekLove Sun 01-May-16 16:00:16

looks like its warming up but have a cold! Take care of myself today and tomorrow.
I'm also vote counting on Thursday too!

GeekLove Sun 01-May-16 16:02:27

Glad you found the tips useful. Have got some silicone lube for armpits/nipples/buttcrack to prevent chafing. Now all I need is a tent.

GeekLove Sun 15-May-16 14:09:17

So... The weather turned out to be scorching which meant the water wasn't too cold. Sucked on the monkey bars but I couldn't reach them.

Rat Race isn't as muddy as the Wolf Run but is 20 miles and a good range of obstacles.

Some minor annoyances where bottlenecks on some of the obstacles and that some assume you're six feet tall meaning I had to skip some of them.

7 hours 54 minutes was my time and I'm signing up for next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now