Talk

Advanced search

Couch25k on a cross trainer. Any advice please?

(6 Posts)
Jojoes Sat 09-Apr-16 20:37:48

Hi I am seriously overweight and really want to get fit.
Couch to 5k really appealed to me, but I really struggled to carry on today - week 1 session 3 because of shin splints. I have suffered from this before, and had acupuncture a few years ago.
I really don't want to quit now Has anyone tried to use couch to 5 k on a cross trainer? I have read a few articles that stress that it wouldn't be a good preparation for running. However I only want to increase my general cardiovascular fitness - not specifically start running.
I'm thinking that it would be a good structure for steadily increasing what I'm doing.
I would appreciate any advice or thoughts.
I have found lots of the existing threads on here really useful - that's what got me motivated. Thanks in advance.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 09-Apr-16 20:43:04

Use the cross trainer, but it's nothing at all like running.

Jojoes Sun 10-Apr-16 14:46:42

OK. Thanks.

thewavesofthesea Sun 10-Apr-16 18:28:22

As an aside, have you tried a foam roller for your shin splints? Like this one

Just a thought.

Do you have good running shoes? If you do the C25k on a cross trainer, I'm sure it would improve your fitness, but it wouldn't prepare you well for running. If your aim is to run outdoors then a good pair of running shoes is a must. May improve your pain in your shins.

Jojoes Sun 10-Apr-16 22:18:59

Haven't seen the foam roller before - will definitely look into it, thanks. Have you used them to help with shin splints?
New running shoes are probably a good idea too. I have started looking for some this week -I'm just trying to pluck up the courage to go and try some on. blush
A physio told me (a number of years ago)/to try asics gel for my over pronation so think that might be a good plan.
Thanks for your advice.

thewavesofthesea Sun 10-Apr-16 22:38:46

I've just bought one, I'm finding that my shins are getting a bit sore after starting to run outside. It hurts at the time but I hope it will help in the long run.

Try going to a shop which can analyse your gait; they will tell you what you need smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now