Talk

Advanced search

First 10km time - how to improve?

(16 Posts)
Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:37:14

Just did my first 10km in 64 minutes. Despite a huge blister, I'm pretty happy with this as I usually stick to 5km or sprints.

My question is, how have you gone about improving your 10km time? I've done some reading and it suggests 2-3 shorter runs a week but I already do this, and ensure some of it is at an incline.

How often would you run 10km if aiming for a time under 60min?

Wanderingwondering Fri 08-Apr-16 09:43:12

Build in some interval speed training on shorter runs. Eg if you have a stretch of road with lampposts you could alternate sprinting and recovery between lampposts
Or hill sprints-run up a hill as fast as you can 3 or 4 times during a run, recovering in between.

KP86 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:45:10

I think that's a great time! My first 10km (combo fast walking and running) was 73min. Haven't done another since!

I agree that the interval training will help.

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 09:49:34

Thanks both.

How long would you do the interval training for? I have a crazy training partner who makes us do sprints so fast I think I'm going to be sick and only gives 30 secs rest (he's ex military) but can only sustain this for 10 mins. Do you think I'd be better continuing intervals in this way or slowly down slightly and doing them for 20 mins.

Also, when would you try 10km again? I was thinking Sunday but not sure if that's too soon.

LadyCassandra Fri 08-Apr-16 09:50:33

That's a really good time!
Interval training or hills training will help. And consistent training, I run 4 times a week and can totally see the improvement in my times.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 08-Apr-16 09:57:06

As a first 10k time, it is fantastic!! I bet you would lock those 4 minutes off easily in the heat of a race, being sucked along by the crowd.

If you want to knock the time off, set out a 10k course where you know the distance intervals and aim for 6 minutes for each kilometre. If you hit it or beat it, carry on at the same pace, if you miss it, speed up!

And try a downhill route wink, they are always quicker!! Or perhaps, more uphill on the first half, still hitting your 6 minute kilometres and then you should knock the time off on the downhill stretch.

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:03:34

Anotherday Do you think joining a running group would help? Saw one going past my house last night. Maybe being in a group would motivate me a bit more.

I agree I need to be consistent Lady. I work at a school and GCSE season is upon us so runs might be a bit sporadic for now, but I could definitely aim to do 4 10km a week in the summer.

Maybe I'd better see how I revover from today first! Maybe I'll never want to go that far again grin grin

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:04:06

*recover

CMOTDibbler Fri 08-Apr-16 10:10:37

Intervals - not so hard you want to vom, but so you couldn't do more than a couple of words. And hills, I hate hills, but you can't argue with the results. Most training plans have one long run, one tempo run (fast as you can, many people use parkrun for this), one intervals and a recovery run a week.

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:19:35

I do lots of hills as they have a great impact on toning my bum!

So, should I continue what I currently do that allowed my to reduce my 5km from 31mins to 26mins whilst adding in the occasional 10km (once a week?) or would you focus on longer intervals for now?
I guess what I've been doing previously is HIIT for 10 mins, and now perhaps I need to move towards more steady intervals.

Thanks for your help everyone. I don't have friends that run other than the guy I mentioned above who is a bit OTT all or nothing kind of person.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Fri 08-Apr-16 10:30:14

I found that just running more/further improved my time. I've never done any hill/sprint/interval training. I increased my distance and did 2 (10-12km) runs during the week and one longer (~20km) weekend run. I could do a half marathon in under 1:35 before I got pregnant again. Same principal over 10km.

KP86 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:46:25

I think a 20 min HIIT session is useful, so if you need to slow down a little to last that long then do that. Otherwise you could go hard for 10 mins then next time try for 11 mins etc. As long as you are pushing yourself and can feel the improvements each week then it's a win in my eyes.

Running with a group definitely helps. My 10km was a fun run and I didn't stop the first 4km which amazed me.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 08-Apr-16 12:48:47

I would up your 5km to 7 or 8 and increase your 10k to 11 or 12 but not top speed, do that for a few weeks then attempt a speed record again. (But at best I have run 57 minute 10k and a 2h half marathon). And yes, a running club is good motivation though I found the before and after a bit of a drag and like running on my own!!!

Wanderingwondering Fri 08-Apr-16 18:23:18

I like running with my club-especially for speed training as it's more motivating in a group.
stillno-in awe of your HM time. I can do under 2 hour but can't see me ever getting under 1.45
My goal is to get from 52 minutes to under 50 minutes for 10K.

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:20:17

Thanks everyone. Will contact the running club and start (slower) intervals from tomorrow.

Finally, can anyone recommend some good socks? My blister is HUGE and right where my socks were most sweaty (tmi!) so I think I need some absorbant ones.

LadyCassandra Sun 10-Apr-16 05:22:54

I'm in a club and definitely think it's made me faster. We are all different speeds, but we all encourage each other and we've all noticed that the group has become faster in recent months.
Socks, I got a couple of pairs of Aldi running socks last time I was in the UK, and I regularly run 10+ kms without blisters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now