Talk

Advanced search

Best waterproof, breathable running jacket?

(14 Posts)
NattyGolfJerkin Sat 26-Mar-16 17:43:22

Do you rate yours?

I'm looking for light, non-flappy, windproof, hooded running jacket. Budget not necessarily an issue. I don't want leaks or draughts. Preferably attractive-ish.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:50:29

A lot of the more euro brands are very stylish, Salomon, gore and hagoloffs do some very nice running jackets. A lot of the cheap brands are not very breathable and can be heavy or rustle a lot. Definitely worth spending a bit of dosh on if you run in what ever the British weather throws at you. Many off road running events insist on you carrying a hooded waterproof jacket with taped seams.

MadauntofA Sat 26-Mar-16 17:54:08

I was going to add taped seams as well - if you are going to invest in one, have the cash, and are looking to do trail races at any point, then get one with taped seams

NattyGolfJerkin Sat 26-Mar-16 17:57:03

Yes to taped seams, keep the wind out!

vindscreenviper Sat 26-Mar-16 17:58:41

I've found that all the Montane gear I have is excellent op, this is their new lightweight jacket, I don't have this one yet but it gets very good reviews
Montane Minimus

NattyGolfJerkin Sat 26-Mar-16 17:58:46

Thank you for the brand recs

BikeRunSki Sat 26-Mar-16 18:00:30

My favourite is my [http://www.howies.co.uk/shelium-smoked-pearl.html Howies Helium]] jacket, although it could do with some more reflection.

BikeRunSki Sat 26-Mar-16 18:01:06

Howies Shelium jacket

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 26-Mar-16 18:14:59

Lonoxo Sat 26-Mar-16 18:22:06

Just been thinking the same thing. Place marking.

NattyGolfJerkin Sat 26-Mar-16 21:40:02

vindscreenviper - your jacket is half price here smile

KeyserSophie Sat 26-Mar-16 23:38:24

I've got the Berghaus vapourlight hyper smock. V lightweight with taped seams and has a hood.

It folds up really really small into its own stuff sack as it's designed to comply with mandatory kit requirements for ultras. I can stuff it into the side pocket of a Salomon 5L running vest.

Tested it on a recent race and it was really effective and genuinely wind proof.

MrsMook Sun 27-Mar-16 07:13:59

I've got a windproof, showerproof top from decathlon which I use for most of my winter running. By the time it wets through I'm normally hot and near the end of my run. It's breathable so sweating isn't an issue. It's hood is good for keeping the wind off my ears, and there's a cord that controls ventilation.

Lonoxo Wed 06-Apr-16 12:42:49

BikeRunSki, I have been having a look at the Howie Shelium one and it seems to be in my price range. Is it waterproof or water resistant? Do you use it for running? I am planning on doing a half marathon this year. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now