Talk

Advanced search

Half marathon fear

(4 Posts)
Runningupthathill82 Fri 25-Mar-16 17:19:38

Runners, please reassure me!

I had my DD eight weeks ago and am running my first post-baby race, a half marathon, on April 10.

Training with a newborn has been, erm, patchy. I've only got up to eight miles as my "long" run so far, and wanted to do at least 10 before the race.

But now I've been hit by full-blown flu (actual flu, the can't get out of bed sort) which means, while I should be fit by race day, I won't have done further than 8 miles in training, and will have done almost nothing in the fortnight before the race.

Any tips as to how I can make it round in one piece? Any particular types of run I should try and squeeze in as soon as I'm well? This will be OK...right?!

Background info - I've done full and half marathons before but I'm not very fast. I ran up to week 25 of pregnancy but am nowhere near my pre-pregnancy fitness levels yet, and am still carrying 20lb at least of baby weight...

Drinksforeveryone Fri 25-Mar-16 17:29:49

I have run two half marathons in recent years and will say that my longest pre race distance s were 8 or 9 miles at most.

I am slow and not a natural but I got round.

Perhaps just do what you can before race day. A few shorrt runs and maybe 3 x 8/9 milers ?

mrssnowface Fri 25-Mar-16 17:35:55

You will be fine, don't worry about the training you haven't done. When you are better, just continue with your training, do a few short fast runs and just taper for the last week before the race.

good luck!

MrsMook Fri 25-Mar-16 17:46:49

Be gentle on yourself, make your aim to complete it comfortably. 8-9 miles should be enough, but go with the demands of your body. It's still in a recovery phase and not worth risking harm to yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now