Talk

Advanced search

Sore swollen knees after long runs

(9 Posts)
AngelicCurls Sat 19-Mar-16 21:04:01

I'm doing my 1st HM in a few weeks and training has been going well apart from my last couple of long >18k runs. During the run I feel fine but within a few hours both knees are really swollen with fluid and stiff/sore. The sore new/swelling lasts about 3 days before slowly settling down. I had knee similar knee problems years ago when I was a teenager doing sports at school but nothing in the intervening years (prob because I became lazy!)

I've not got any more long runs before the half now so just going to battle through in the day and suffer afterwards but just wondering what I should do after? I really enjoy my long runs so don't want to give up on those but don't want to knackered my knees completely. Will this settle down if I just keep pushing through as my knees get used to the distance? Don't want to bother the Drs about this as seems trivial!

AngelicCurls Sat 19-Mar-16 21:05:07

Aargh, sorry for all the typos-really should preview before posting!

Cherryminx Sun 20-Mar-16 19:09:27

I'm no expert but I don't think you can cure knee problems by just running on them more. There are a set of exercises especially to help knee problems on NHS Couch to 5k which I do as often as I remember www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/knee-exercises.aspx . They are all about strengthening the muscles around your knees to take the strain off the joints.

It might also be worth seeing a sports physio. DS sees one who charged approx £40 for initial assessment and it was money very well spent. They can tell you if its serious and if ok will give you some tailored exercises.

MrsMook Sun 20-Mar-16 21:45:13

Cross training is good for general strength and balances the repetitive impact of running. Knee issues are often caused by muscular issues like weak glutes, or feet being incorrectly supported. (Do your shoes support your feet? Are they worn out)

It's probably worth a sports massage while you are tapering with some recovery time after the massage. It would ease out areas of tension that cause imbalances.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sun 20-Mar-16 21:49:02

I'm sorry I know this is not helpful in the slightest, but I've just come from the poo emoji Easter egg thread and when I saw the title I presumed 'runs' referred to diarrhoea! I clicked to discover how diarrhoea could possibly make your knees swell. I must say I'm slightly disappointed but wish you all the best OP.

Popilol Tue 22-Mar-16 13:11:02

I feel your pain - the same thing happened to me - sore knees once I started increasingly the distances.
I went to a sports physio for help and she said it's to do with the muscles in my calf not stretching enough so all the impact load is going in to my knee. I also have tight ankles which don't help. I was given exercises to help strengthen leg muscles, I also now tape my knees and put ice on them after a long run which all help.
Don't overdo it - I ended up with a different injury when I did that!
Good luck - sounds like you are doing amazingly well.

SugarDiabetes Tue 29-Mar-16 13:12:58

http://therunningbug.co.uk/training-advice/get-fit/get-fitter/b/weblog/archive/2015/04/27/easy-yoga-moves-for-running-recovery.aspx?utmsource=Facebook&utmm_medium=Facebook+Post&utm_campaign=get-fit

SugarDiabetes Tue 29-Mar-16 13:14:20

I'm evangelical about this link after trying it just this morning. Well worth making an account to view it.

DH thought I looked ridiculous but it made a huge difference to the stiffness I usually feel. It's yoga moves, with your legs up a wall grin

stilllearnin Sat 02-Apr-16 21:29:33

Handy, thanks! I have just started back to running and only doing small distances but feeling a slight niggle. I am doing the exercises as we type!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now