Talk

Advanced search

Are wall sits nearly as good as squats with dodgy knees?

(9 Posts)
Whyarethebestnamestaken Fri 18-Mar-16 16:25:13

I find squats, even not going too low hurts my knese and was wondering if I did wall sits it would be better without the constant up and down. I may have to start not too low but hoping as my flabby legs get stronger I can go down to the right angle.

Any thoughts?

sleepwhenidie Fri 18-Mar-16 16:34:07

Wall sits hit your quads whereas squats get your quads and bum. So if you want to work your bum you'll need to add something like glute bridges. I have an exercise routine from a physio to try and help my painful knees, both wall sits and glute bridges (with one raised leg) feature but with all of them the emphasis is on getting my knee properly aligned over my foot, so keep this in mind too smile. It's probably worth having a chat with a physio wrt exercises and knee pain so you can help or ensure you aren't causing further harm. Where I live you can self refer to a physio through nhs, no need for GP referral.

suzannecaravaggio Fri 18-Mar-16 17:42:13

I second glute bridges!
and yes it's all about the knee angle. there are lots of ways to work your leg muscles without hurting your knee's
lunges, split squats but make sure you position yourself so that the knee angle doesnt go near the point of pain.
Have a search on you tube for exercises and experiment at home

I've never really got on with squats

sleepwhenidie Fri 18-Mar-16 17:57:51

Suzanne interestingly (?) when in doing the exercises with my knee in the correct position (which I thought I was doing previously) it really hurts, but physio said to expect this for a while. She thinks my problem is that inner quad is doing too much work and outer not enough, which is causing kneecap to move out of alignment, leading to pain. The exercises are to even up the imbalance and improve stability - they are simple but I'm finding them tough!

sleepwhenidie Fri 18-Mar-16 17:59:10

I guess my point in all that is - just because it doesn't hurt doesn't mean you're doing it right grin

suzannecaravaggio Fri 18-Mar-16 19:57:40

I cant comment Sleep thats beyond my level of knee experience
Infact I probably shouldn't even be on a thread about knee problems in case I jinx myself shock

sleepwhenidie Fri 18-Mar-16 20:10:56

Yy, run away while you can grin

suzannecaravaggio Fri 18-Mar-16 20:20:44

he he grin

Whyarethebestnamestaken Sun 20-Mar-16 22:44:47

Sleep - Thank you I will add glute bridges and have looked into it on you tube and they look deceptively easy but am sure it is harder than it looks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now