Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth getting a personal trainer to help me do a routine at home, or can I figure it out by myself?

(4 Posts)
TapStepBallChange Sun 13-Mar-16 15:33:21

Last yr I reached 5k running through doing couch to 5k, I've not done much over winter and want to get back into it again. I usually run before work, but if DH is working away I can't get out to run as I'm either at work or at home with DD. I also want to start adding some weights and other exercise alongside the running. I do pilates once a week, I'm wondering about sorting out a workout at home. We have a very long garden, now the evenings are light, I'd like to design a work out which involves running up and down (around 200m ish) with weights and other moves at either end, can anyone point me somewhere where I could find the info needed to design something or is it worth finding a personal trainer to come round once a month to help be develop something and update it.

LordEmsworth Sun 13-Mar-16 16:06:28

If you can afford a PT, it is definitely worth it. A PT will check your technique and ensure you're doing the exercises properly, which will give you better results and reduce the risk of injuries.

A PT will also probably push you harder than you'd naturally do yourself, and give you an incentive to do it when you really don't feel like it.

TapStepBallChange Sun 13-Mar-16 18:48:24

Thanks, I'll e-mail a few. Had a look on a few websites, they all seem to focus on offering bootcamps, which I guess is a good revenue stream, I'd love to do one, but can't commit to the regular classes. I was slightly taken aback by one, who is a young man with a very defined 6 pack, who also boasts on his website to a be a fitness model, it felt almost inappropriate looking at the website grin I didn't think people like that existed in my corner of rural england

LordEmsworth Mon 14-Mar-16 08:59:34

Well, I wouldn't choose a trainer who's that focussed on looks, personally... Nothing wrong with it, but not really my aim.

Is there anyone you can ask for a recommendation? If there's a running club nearby, it might be worth asking them if they have a trainer who will focus on cross training to improve your running (if that's your aim).

My trainer will do a first session free so you get a feel for working with him, so worth asking if they will; one thing to look out for is how interested they are in your goals, asking lots of questions to understand and tailor what they do with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now