Talk

Advanced search

What exercise can I do without my knees??

(9 Posts)
Cathpot Tue 08-Mar-16 11:08:32

Fell very hard on my knees nearly 3 weeks ago. The bruising has gone but one kneecap still has fluid over it so it is puffy and uncomfortable. I haven't done any exercise since it happened ( apart from one swim a week ago and it hurt that evening), and I'm worried about losing what little fitness I have. It is improving very slowly but I think the sensible thing is not to try and run on it etc until it is back to normal .Any ideas for exercise I could do?

BlueChampagne Tue 08-Mar-16 13:24:13

Poor you! How do you feel about cycling? I managed to cycle with one very bruised knee (horse fell on it).

Cathpot Tue 08-Mar-16 14:36:15

It doesn't actively hurt cycling when I am gently pottering about, just feels a bit odd. I could try a proper cycle and see how it goes- I hate having to build fitness back up it seems to go so quickly! . I also hurt my bum ( middle aged woman meets snowboarding) so I'm sort of caught coming and going.

lavendersun Tue 08-Mar-16 14:40:25

Years ago I tore my Cruikshank ligament skiing. I couldn't do anything for ages but when I could a cross trainer was the advice of my physio, I bought one and it worked brilliantly as in it looked after my knee and got me fit again!

lavendersun Tue 08-Mar-16 14:43:05

Oops thank you spellcheck!

Cruiciate ligament!

Cathpot Tue 08-Mar-16 15:32:30

That's good to know as I can get to a gym with a cross trainer easily - thanks!

lljkk Wed 09-Mar-16 07:28:54

Which stroke did you use in swimming? The breaststroke can be hard on knees, but crawl or backstroke can be quiet light on the knee. For my knee woes, swimming would be best & cycling the worst, of types of whole body exercise.

Cathpot Wed 09-Mar-16 09:54:44

I swim alternated breaststroke and crawl- I could try just crawl, my tailbone wasn't happy after last week, which again you're right is more likely to be breaststroke. Am going to try cross trainer tomorrow and swim at the weekend. Thanks for replies.

BlueChampagne Fri 11-Mar-16 16:35:42

Crawl much better for dodgy tailbones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now