GPS that works in London

(5 Posts)
PickleSarnie Fri 19-Feb-16 07:05:46

I have a Garmin forerunner10. Whilst I get that it's not the top of the range gps watch, it only really has one job. And that's to find a satellite. I work in central London (City area) and it has never once found its location. It goes to power save several times before I give up trying. It usually works fine when running near my (fairly rural) home.

I've started taking my phone with me but it tends to weigh my leggings down. My phone gets its knickers in a twist occasionally and thinks that sometimes I run on water down the Thames but it's much closer than my damn forerunner. All its good for is a fairly ugly watch. Anyone have better success with anything else?

CMOTDibbler Fri 19-Feb-16 09:56:27

The satellite finding on the Forerunner10 really isn't great, and I think deliberately so tbh. I have a Garmin 910xt and when I run in London (only when I'm working up there, so only used it centrally), it finds satellites quickly and does an accurate, consistent job

PickleSarnie Fri 19-Feb-16 14:35:51

I'll take a look at that one thanks!

FiftyNineOhEight Fri 19-Feb-16 14:38:31

I have an old Garmin forerunner 110 which is almost always fine where I work in Central London.

I used to live in NYC and it didn't like all the tall buildings there - could that be the problem in the City?.

PickleSarnie Fri 19-Feb-16 18:48:39

Probably right fiftynine I guess it's partly that its on the low range of the forerunners but my phone gets its knickers in a twist until I get to the river (and out from the big buildings). It turned my 8km jog the other day into an 8mile sprint. Which looked impressive at least! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now