Talk

Advanced search

Swimming - university survey

(20 Posts)
jessovbhe Sat 13-Feb-16 18:23:06

Hi i dont know if im allowed to post this but i desperately need participants for my dissertation survey...

Anyone age 26-45 is needed to answer about 7 mins of questions about the effect of the government cuts on swimming participation. This could help prevent closures of pools and provide better pricing for example. More info is available on the survey itself:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1xiqUrpxQr1T4bDAqIupKWJGRb_nqdp6z4949pTq_DMc/viewform?c=0&w=1

Any answers would be appreciated, thank you smile

Quoteunquote Sat 13-Feb-16 22:15:54

ok

jessovbhe Sat 20-Feb-16 03:05:30

Would like to thank anyone who's done this so far, just need a few more if anybody else can help that would be great

Quoteunquote Sat 20-Feb-16 17:01:52

Go on everyone help influence our pool situation.

MrsMook Sat 20-Feb-16 19:27:27

One of our council pools is due to close next month. The remaining pool is smaller and in a difficult location, so I've always used the larger pool. No one in the city would dispute that it is very tired and under invested in, but it's going to be a massive loss for fitness swimming, clubs, lessons and schools. There's no capacity in the city to accommodate these, and the remaining pool has its own issues; currently one of the 3 pools is closed for maintenance which is a frequent problem.

I've been willing to put up with the Arctic draughts through the pool as I pound up and down the lanes to keep warm. I take my DCs to a pool in a neighbouring borough which suits their needs better. Their busy lesson programme leaves little capacity for casual sessions though.

The council have had plans to replace the pools, but these have all been shelved. Speculation about extending my local leisure centre for a small local pool for this zone of the city will remain speculation for a long time to come. At one point the plan was to have a local pool for each suburban zone (some of these exist within schools already) and replace the two aging main pools with a larger modern hub.

I can't justify the costs of a private gym membership for the time I have available for swimming.

Quoteunquote Sun 28-Feb-16 17:21:39

bump

dementedma Sun 28-Feb-16 17:25:50

I'm too old shock. Sorry!

BigGreenOlives Sun 28-Feb-16 17:27:05

Too old, but exercise 6/7 days a week

ivykaty44 Sun 28-Feb-16 17:28:22

I'm to old....

meditrina Sun 28-Feb-16 17:33:18

There are no questions which acknowledge the role of the local council in providing leisure facilities. And even though all councils are facing cuts, there is a considerable variation in what is happening in each council area.

I think this omission is sufficiently important that I do not wish to participate because of it.

jessovbhe Sun 28-Feb-16 17:50:00

Hello, there is a question in which people provide their postcode. Each area is then going to be looked at in regards to what is happening with local leisure facilities and cuts etc so it will be included where necessary in the final piece of work smile

Quoteunquote Sun 28-Feb-16 19:45:41

mom

i think you can get it on amazon, because I only know about it as a friend bought it for her mother.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sun 28-Feb-16 20:08:32

An old council pool in my borough (Greenwich) has closed down as a swanky new one opened in a complex including swanky flats. The new pool isn't deep enough to flat dive or do tumble turns. It's BRAND NEW and unfit for purpose.

NewLife4Me Sun 28-Feb-16 20:11:40

bump, and please help if you can folks, I'm too old to help.

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 28-Feb-16 20:21:09

Done.

The Welsh Assembly Government have recently cut the number of free swim sessions for children and this has caused a huge drop in children swimming locally.

NeuNewNouveau Sun 28-Feb-16 21:12:53

I spent time doing the survey then at the end it said it was for people of that age in Hull. Obviously my postcode is nowhere near Hull so have I wasted my time??

jessovbhe Sun 28-Feb-16 23:02:08

no you dont have to live in hull, that was going to be the idea originally but i wasnt getting enough responses.

Sorry i thought i had changed it

Neunewnouveau Sun 28-Feb-16 23:08:45

That's good 😊
Good luck with it all

whynogutfeeling Sun 28-Feb-16 23:18:31

If you use facebook I suggest joining a group on there called 'Did You swim today?' and posting your questionnaire link there too.

jessovbhe Wed 02-Mar-16 21:10:11

Thanks for the above suggestion, i now have 126 responses :D
I'm using a lot of these examples as case studies too so thanks again guys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now