Talk

Advanced search

Running in the frost.

(24 Posts)
Cocacolaandchocolate Wed 20-Jan-16 17:24:06

Rather stupid question.... Do you still go out in the frost and freezing temps.

Friend has called me bonkers as I said I was still going to go for a jog tonight. Doing 0-5k and really enjoy it. She said it was dangerous.

I go out at 9pm...

Any thoughts?

emummy Wed 20-Jan-16 17:28:43

Living in NE Scotland I pretty much run whatever the weather! As long as you're careful if it's slippy underfoot and wear enough layers to keep you warm I don't see a problem. Enjoy!

museumum Wed 20-Jan-16 17:30:25

Yes. Of course. If it's really icy I go somewhere I can run in the grass.

Cocacolaandchocolate Wed 20-Jan-16 17:33:06

Grass isn't a option here. But thanks for replying. I will go still. Clears my head and certainly makes me feel good.

ewbank Wed 20-Jan-16 17:33:13

I go whatever the weather too. I'd rather have hard icy ground than muddy swamp.

Although I do slow down as there's a risk of turning your ankle quite easily

Pipbin Wed 20-Jan-16 17:34:33

I do, but not if its slippy.
I go out at 6am so I often run in the road if the pavement is too bad.

CMOTDibbler Wed 20-Jan-16 17:35:12

It was lovely out today in the cold. Just need to be careful on the less cleared paths as the mud was slippy, but not too bad

Thecatknowsshesboss Wed 20-Jan-16 18:02:48

I went on Sunday at 7.30 with snow and ice round here - I did put on my yaktrax ice grips so that I don't look like bambi sliding around.

Cocacolaandchocolate Wed 20-Jan-16 22:12:29

I did it and now I feel good! Thanks for your replys.

So I got a decent pair of trainers.. I'm currently wearing cheap joggers and a jumper (and stealing hubbys hoodies) is there any particular thing a runner should have to make it even more enjoyable. (Completely new to this) 😁

Buttercup27 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:16:11

No , but only because of my asthma. I struggle to breath properly when the temp drops below about 12 degrees so I tend to run between easter and October. But. I am very jealous of people can run all year round. I would if I could.

RJnomore1 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:18:23

I don't as I am so paranoid of falling.m
But that's not a good thing.

May I recommend a flip belt to hold your phone/keys etc, dh is a proper runner and he says it's the best running accessory he's had.

Pipbin Wed 20-Jan-16 22:26:39

I've got a flip belt. It's brilliant. I ran for years without one and I've got no idea how.

CMOTDibbler Wed 20-Jan-16 22:31:50

I love my flip belt, but for a beginner runner, I'd say good socks (my faves are my Ashmei merino ones, but the Karrimor ones are suprisingly good), and running leggings would be my next buys. Then a fleece or other top that will wick sweat

Cocacolaandchocolate Wed 20-Jan-16 23:42:32

Ooh so many accessories. Thanks again. I will definitely look into flip belt. I currently hold me phone for dear life.

The weather was okay tonight, I just slowed down on the real white sparkly bits on the pavement.

I actually cannot believe how much I enjoy it.
Thanks again

BikeRunSki Wed 20-Jan-16 23:53:41

I went out at 8.15. Was actually fairly warm tonight. If I were starting to build up running gear now, I'd buy, in order:
Merino socks (I get Pearl Izumi ones from Amazon)
Running Tights (leggings)
Merino base layer
Yak Trax
Lightweight wind/showerproof jacket.

All my favourite running stuff comes from Howies. Not cheap, but lasts for years.

clary Thu 21-Jan-16 00:03:42

I run at night all the time. Hard to avoid it if I want to train in the week (and I do!) as I work ft.

Not dangerous IMO. I went out the other night in full on winter kit - which for me is running tights, l/s running top with thumb holes and lightweight running jacket.

Still ended up taking off the jacket halfway round!

Just be aware of the pavement surface but I find it's not usually frosty in the evening as it has cleared in the day and not refrozen if that makes sense. Unless you are running at 1am or something.

Well done on 0-5k btw OP smile I love running so much.

ThursdayLastWeek Thu 21-Jan-16 17:53:28

Oh Lordy, I'm so pregnant right now, I'm totally unable to run and reading this thread is making me so envy!

You're doing really well OP, it's so worth it!

Cocacolaandchocolate Thu 21-Jan-16 23:25:44

Congratulations Thursday.
I did another run tonight. Was lovely, no one else Around apart from the odd dog walker.
Thanks for the support all. I am determined to succeed at this!

bunique Thu 21-Jan-16 23:35:30

How do people find running in their yaktrax? I've only used them for walking to work in, wasn't sure if they'd feel a bit wobbly for running.

chrome100 Fri 22-Jan-16 16:06:00

Yes, I do. I run on the roads as the pavements are often very icy. However I run at 5am so there's not much traffic. Not sure how you'd manage that later in the day.

ThisisnotAmerica Fri 22-Jan-16 16:07:36

I LOVE running in the frost at night, wouldn't go on my own though I have to say.

Saz12 Sat 23-Jan-16 20:47:10

buttercup - I have asthma too, but find putting a scarf over nose and mouth means the air I breathe in is warm enough not to trigger an attack. It doesn't need to be a thick/wooly scarf. It does make my specs mist up a bit, but I can usually sort something out. That might (or might not!) help?

I wear a hat, as it's easy to take off and carry once I'm warm enough.

Cocacolaandchocolate Tue 26-Jan-16 23:15:55

I'm going to share with you all as no one else knows but my husband but tonight... I ran the 3 minutes cycle!!
No stopping just 3 minutes while running, and it felt fab. In total I ran 9 minutes tonight and 10 minutes very fast waking!!

(I know some of you may think 3 minutes is nothing, but at the end of November I had a abdominal op and the little fitness I had I lost. So this is big too me.)

Any tips for pain in the front of legs?

CMOTDibbler Wed 27-Jan-16 07:37:50

Well done, 3 minutes at a time is a real milestone.

A great stretch to do before and after running is to stand on the bottom step, and gently rise up on your toes, then slowly and in a controlled way lower yourself so your heels are below the level of the step. Do that 5 times, making sure its very deliberate

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now