Runners, talk me through footwear in this wet weather...

(19 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 05-Jan-16 10:25:56

I've got 2 pairs of trainers one each for running & indoor classes. This works OK in the summer but I'm really struggling in these wet muddy conditions and don't want a lack of footwear keeping me indoors.

I ran on Sunday and those trainers got so caked in mud I had to jet wash them & they're still damp so today wore my indoor trainers (not ideal I realise blush) and now have a second pair of filthy wet trainers, cold feet and nothing to wear to my class tonightenvy.

I run on mix of country lanes & bridlepaths (& fields but they're too wet at the moment) and really feel my trainers aren't up to the job and might need to invest in something a bit more robust & waterproof.

Regular off-road runners, can you talk me through your footwear & cleaning/drying procedure please

CMOTDibbler Tue 05-Jan-16 13:13:23

I have Salomon Speedcross for my off road running, and though they aren't waterprroof they are really grippy. They dry out under the dehumidifier overnight, then the mud just brushes off with an old horse brush. I never wash them.

My road shoes are drying out at the moment, but they take more drying than the off road shoes. Fortunately, I stalk ebay for extra pairs of my favourite shoes where people wore them once then decided they didn't fit, so have extras.

Mominatrix Tue 05-Jan-16 13:19:59

I have asics cumulus gtx (gortex) which are a godsend in this weather. I don't hAva problem drying them out fur the next day, and don't clean them ( so they are currently very muddy). just before putting them on, they get a good bash outside so all the dried mud comes off.

lljkk Tue 05-Jan-16 19:33:35

hmmm... just how muddy? If it's this muddy I can't run anyway because I'm slipping everywhere and there's no escape.

lljkk Tue 05-Jan-16 19:37:04

Whereas I can make all of these work if all of my route isn't like this.

I have some Adidas trainers I sprayed heavily; they let air-water in the top toe but are pretty resistant to moisture everywhere else. On the rads to dry out if required (not often).

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 05-Jan-16 22:45:47

Thank you all - love the eBay purchasing of spare trainers and clearly need to stop worrying about the mud and washing after each run grin. Sadly a bit skint for a pair of those lovely gortex Asics but I have asked for a pair of regular Asic for my birthday next month so fingers crossed I can add another pair to my growing collection.

Flingingmelon Tue 05-Jan-16 23:30:13

Watching with interest. I have the same problem with my Sarcony runners and was told to buy some smart wool socks (to keep my feet warm) and just live with it.

It was advice from a bloke mind you. And I mean a 'bloke', rather than just a person who is male.

steppemum Tue 05-Jan-16 23:34:36

And I mean a 'bloke', rather than just a person who is male. grin grin

What would you recommend for road running for a heavy weight like me?
I have a 'voucher' from dh for Christmas for a new pair of running trainers and don't know what is good to get?

emummy Wed 06-Jan-16 06:46:44

For off road I have Salomon speed cross, which I think have some goretex on them, they're water resistant, not entirely waterproof. On wet routes I wear sealskinz waterproof socks, which I love to bits, they are very good.. The shoes just get left to dry and brushed.
steppemum if you can the best thing would be to get along to a running shop where they can check your gait and you can test out different shoes to see what feels best.

FrecklyEthel Wed 06-Jan-16 07:05:20

DH encouraged me to buy a pair of adidas kanadia for exactly this reason, c. £40 in sports direct. I'll be trying them at park run on Saturday.

Don't suppose anyone can help me work out what to wear on top? I had that too hot in a shell like top, too cold in a vest experience last Saturday and was miserable throughout...

CMOTDibbler Wed 06-Jan-16 07:37:19

FrecklyEthel - I layer with a long sleeved base layer (mine are Aldi) and a short sleeved top over. I have some nice brushed long sleeve running tops which are perfect in this temperature, but alas I can't find them anymore.
Another alternative if you run hot is vest, short sleeved t, and arm warmers which you can roll down when running if too hot. I like this, but this may be the influence of my lovely hawaiian print arm warmers!

Socks - although personally I quite like keeping water out of my shoes, good socks do make a huge difference in making wet feet not unpleasant. I am particularly fond of my Ashmei merino socks which are a world away from the basic socks I also own.

originalmavis Wed 06-Jan-16 07:45:18

Flinging - do you find saucony sizes come up teensy? I have to buy a size and a half bigger than usual.

I have spare runners that I buy in sales. They may be lurid colours but you do need 2+ pairs in this weather.

Let mud dry off and bash it off. Drying them out on radiators or agas seems to knacker the fabric.

I get really cold feet - especially with these new fangkled mesh shoes. I also get very hot so wear vest with a zip up top I can pull down around my waist.

Gloves are must but hats make my sweaty unless it's raining and I wear a cap (I wear glasses).

CMOTDibbler Wed 06-Jan-16 10:01:50

I can't bear hats either, so in the rain I wear a sun visor to keep the rain off my face and glasses without giving me a hot head

BikeRunSki Wed 06-Jan-16 10:07:17

Innov8 trainers are supposedly excellent for off road running, but just don't fit my feet. Ditto Salomon.

I run on and off road in New Balance trainers. My off road ones are not waterproof, but I find that helps them drain quickly and I wear merino socks with them to keep dry. Importantly, they have deep cleats to deal with the mud.

If you're anywhere near Sheffield I heartily recommend you visit Accelerate in Attercliffe for off road shoe advice.

BlueChampagne Wed 06-Jan-16 13:09:03

Could try Sealskinz waterproof socks?

Afraid I road run when it's like this; I don't find 10 miles of mud fun!

CMOTDibbler Wed 06-Jan-16 13:34:02

I have a pair of Sealskinz socks that I got for cycling, and tbh what I don't like is the sweaty feeling you get because they aren't breathable.

emummy Wed 06-Jan-16 14:18:03

I don't get that with mine CMOT, but there are different thicknesses of sealskins

lljkk Wed 06-Jan-16 17:53:43

layer?!! I was running in a tank top today. with long sleeve top tied around waist, I need it to start. And half length shorts for knees. I can't imagine being cold enough to run in tights.

I have a snood which moves to my ears in wet weather smile. I can handle wet hair as long as my ears are warm.

snowinginthewoods Wed 06-Jan-16 18:02:40

Brooks trail shoes. Tried a new pair out today and they were fairly grippy in the mud but my feet had 2 inches of water in them by the time I got home...

I will purchase some waterproof socks, are those sealskinz the best on the market?

I put my normal trainers (Brooks Ravena) in the washing machine. I know you're not supposed to but I can't bear them looking horrid and muddy as they are such a pretty colour blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now