Talk

Advanced search

running without rest days?

(8 Posts)
duplodancer Fri 01-Jan-16 15:29:33

Hello, would anybody be able to advise me? I've managed to carve out 3 mornings a week for exercise. I like jogging in the gym.
The trouble is those 3 mornings are one after another and I know you're supposed to have rest days.
My question is, is it better to run twice a week with a day of in between? Or can I run 3 mornings consecutively?
Thanks!

Tisy10 Fri 01-Jan-16 15:31:53

If your legs will let you, 3 days in a row is fine. It will depend how far you run as well.

duplodancer Fri 01-Jan-16 15:53:35

Thank you. I'm very pleased to hear it. I won't run far, I guess I'm aiming for mainly 5 k. And might do the middle day on the cross trainer sometimes!
I can't wait actually.

Tisy10 Fri 01-Jan-16 15:55:40

You'll be fine then. I tend to run 5km 5 times a week before a workout with rest days at the weekend and have never had a problem.

ClashCityRocker Fri 01-Jan-16 15:57:04

Should be fine, but listen to your body.

Personally, I find three days on the trot to be a bit much, but I do have problems with my feet (previously stretched ligament that starts grumbling), but I know plenty of people who do run three days a week.

Maybe do the two days running with strength training on day 3? Or a less high impact form of exercise?

Does it have to be at the gym? I find outdoor jogging easier to fit in - a 30 minute jog in the morning seems to take up a lot less time than travelling to the gym, getting changed, doing the usual pre-workout procrastinating showering, using their pitiful hair driers and getting back. Although this time of year can completely see why you'd rather do it indoors grin

duplodancer Fri 01-Jan-16 21:02:23

Thank you! I think I might well do a bit of strength training in day three. Sadly I really can't fit in anymore running, even outside. Unless I was prepared to give up lazing in front of the TV for an evening, and obviously, that just won't happen!

iMatter Fri 01-Jan-16 21:07:07

I think the rest day thing might refer to your training over a week. I train (quite hard) 6 days a week with one day's rest. Sometimes I add an extra rest day if I'm particularly knackered or have just done a race.

MrsMook Fri 01-Jan-16 23:50:38

I've done part time work which bunched up my major workouts across two days next to the weekend. It's not ideal, but varying the intensity can help. Probably not helping what you've described, but varying the time slot so 36hrs gap rather than 24 can make more efficient use of consecutive days.

I'd go for cross training/ lighter workouts on the middle day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now