Talk

Advanced search

Does weight training cause temporary water retention??

(9 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Wed 30-Dec-15 19:47:56

I was a bit disheartened today when I stepped on the scales to find them telling me I'd put on 2lbs. If anything, I've been eating less lately. I have been trying to work out a bit more, including weights, and I heard something about weight training causing water retention whilst the muscles recover: does anyone know anything about this?

I'm hoping there's some truth in it and it can be held to account for my weight gain!!!

MrsMook Thu 31-Dec-15 09:24:16

I weigh more when training for half marathons. When I've got past the initial recovery and resume running casually, several pounds disappear. I'm slightly heavier on days where I feel stiff.

thedevilinmyshoes Thu 31-Dec-15 09:54:34

I always drop lbs when I have a break from the gym, and gain (but shrink) when training hard. That number on the scales is wholly arbitrary and gives no useful information about your progress at all.

Oldisthenewblack Thu 31-Dec-15 15:50:03

I agree to some extent, thedevil, but as I have a lot of fat to lose, the muscle gain could not match the amount of weight lost (or I'd be the best bodybuilder EVER), so ultimately, the scales should show a loss if I'm doing the right things. However, I agree that weighing often and worrying about the odd pound or so is pointless - and I am guilty of that at times. As it happens, yes, I don't feel TOO bad, size wise....so will be hitting the gym again later grin

Oldisthenewblack Thu 31-Dec-15 15:51:33

And MrsMook - that's useful to know, as that's what I found too. I'd rather be training and heavier than not training and lighter.

KeyserSophie Thu 31-Dec-15 17:01:09

Weight training does cause fluid retention around the muscles when you first start. I gained about 5 lbs when I first started. It went away after a few months though

suzannecaravaggio Thu 31-Dec-15 17:06:13

any exercise training will likely cause an upregulation of gylcogen storage with associated water storage

tentothesix Thu 31-Dec-15 17:16:00

Weight training does because fluid goes to muscles to aid recovery. Come to my gym on a Friday early evening and watch the bros get "pumped" ready for their night out. They want to look bulked out! grin

suzannecaravaggio Thu 31-Dec-15 17:23:05

the pump that you get from training happens when the muscle become engorged with blood
the 'bro's' who use steroids will be the ones getting the biggest pump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now