Talk

Advanced search

Help to formulate an exercise regime please

(8 Posts)
ginorwine Tue 22-Dec-15 08:54:21

Hi I'm aged 50
I used to love many types of exercise but fractured my knee some years ago and cannot do stuff like running due to impact .the fracture means in my case that there is a missing bit of patella which had to be removed and there is a remaining fracture running thro it and so more could break off and this will eventually indicate that the patella is removed.surgeon said he expected to see me back 2 years after surgery but so far I've got away with it and have been riding as id rather go down having fun !
I'm concious that I don't raise my heart rate .im now really loose all over and soft with muffin top !
I think I may need
Free weights to tone
Some form of stretching - v inflexible !
Heart rate raised
Please please anyone who is knowledgable I wd so appriciate advice .id massively prefer solo exercise or group but not a gym .

PurpleDaisies Tue 22-Dec-15 08:58:09

Pilates and yoga are both great for stretching and will help with toning too-you use your own body weight as resistance. A good instructor will be able to give to variations that won't hurt your knee. It won't raise your heart rate though. What about swimming?

MuttonWasAGoose Tue 22-Dec-15 09:02:32

Swimming is the obvious choice but not always practical.
Weights can get the heart rate up if you do them in a circuit, moving from one exercise to another without resting between the sets. I do hip thrusts, push ups, squats, bent over rows, dead lifts, shoulder presses, lunges. Ten of each with no break. Rest a bit then repeat the circuit. I just alternate between upper and lower body.

carrie74 Tue 22-Dec-15 09:25:34

Worth looking at Fitness Blender for loads of (free) workout videos which can be done at home. I'd look for some HIIT to raise your heart rate, and also weights which will firm you up quickly (if you're going heavy enough).

carrie74 Tue 22-Dec-15 09:26:08

Also if you don't mind group classes, things like Circuits are excellent.

ginorwine Tue 22-Dec-15 11:16:53

Thanks !!!!

YeOldeTrout Sat 26-Dec-15 17:13:12

What kind of riding can you do? Do you have other patella issues, with tendons or ligaments maybe?

ginorwine Sat 26-Dec-15 23:41:55

Ye - I can trot , walk .some cantering .cant really jump now as concerned re any impact on knee .also my core is weak .
I'm not aware of any other probls like tendons - didn't ask or check - maybe should - didn't occur to me .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now