Talk

Advanced search

Starting my fitness journey again, who's with me?

(20 Posts)
LollipopViolet Sat 12-Dec-15 09:41:32

So, I had an induction at a local gym on Wednesday, and now have a card that gives me access to the gym for £4.50 a session, and to the pool (free during off peak times, which is when I go ATM). I'm aiming for "a gym and a swim" a week, sometimes more, sometimes it'll be less due to college/placement, and job seeking commitments.

I used to be a regular gym goer, love strength training, and at one point could squat the 20kg barbell.

Sadly, a year of inactivity, a 9 week working holiday in the USA and general chaotic lifestyle mean that level of fitness is gone. Now I want it back, and I'm starting from the beginning again. The gym I go to is more machine based, but I'm OK with that, less chance of me getting into bother and hurting myself!

I'm lucky, I have no DC at the moment and can find the time to go. I'm also not working (hence I qualify for this card thing-y).

I also do Slimming World, and my weight as of last Wednesday was 13st 1lb - shocking as I'm 5ft 2, but that's half a stone lighter than when I started back in September.

Anyone want to join my journey?

KanyesVest Sat 12-Dec-15 10:31:16

Good luck with it, Lollipop! I was exactly where you were 2 years ago, same weight and height. I'm down nearly 4 stone now, but stuck with one more to go (I've lost and gained half if it on and off for the last year). There's an Octoberathon thread which is a bit quiet at the moment, but we try to do something most days I'll be back today after a bout of laziness , so if you want to drop in and say hi, please do!

PhoebeMcPeePee Sat 12-Dec-15 15:54:27

Good luck. I would try and have a minimum of 3 work-outs a week otherwise you'll find it takes far longer to see & feel the results which can be demotivating. I'd aim for 2 swims and 1 gym session and maybe consider some sort of class - body pump might appeal? Well done on your weight loss - I lost 3 stone on SW and exercise 4-5 times a week and feel fantastic grin

JemimaMuddleDuck Mon 14-Dec-15 07:34:11

Me!

Have got very lazy over the last few years and doing nothing exercise wise. I'm going for a walk/run/walk after work tonight. Will probably be more walk but it's better than sitting on the sofa. Plan is to come home, get changed and go out straight away. Will report back later...

Agree that you probably need more than two sessions. Could you do a few walks as well?

LollipopViolet Mon 14-Dec-15 15:54:21

So, went back to the gym, they're now saying I shouldn't've been allowed to do PAYG with my card, apparently they don't do it. So they let me in but said I may have similar issues with other staff.

So I'm going back to my college's (not as nice, but functional) gym on Wednesday I think. Would go for a swim tomorrow but have to go to a course at the job centre. This gym is also cheaper by about £2.50 a session, and free on Wednesdays for college students. Class wise I do like body pump but there's nowhere here that does classes without having to have a direct debit membership, or pay for an entire year upfront.

KanyesVest Tue 15-Dec-15 19:07:31

That's a bit of a pain, lollipop, hopefully it's not too much hassle. Don't let it put you off though! Would you consider free exercise like the couch to 5k?

LollipopViolet Wed 16-Dec-15 16:10:26

Right, I'm in luck. I've found a gym that charges £1.50 a session or £15 a month with no contract, and it's cash so I don't have to worry about not paying if I've got a busy month coming up, I can just pay per session. It's a proper strength gym, which is kind of what I like. Called in today, did a session and had a chat to the guy who runs it - he's going to sort me out a weights circuit on Friday hopefully, then I should be able to do that 2 or 3 times a week.

The best bit? It's 10 minutes walk from home - I have NO excuses now! Open 7 days a week, and if I want to be brave and try a bit of jogging, I've got a perfect route to/from the gym.

I'm very happy smile

I have considered running etc but I find the gym is where I'm happiest.

LollipopViolet Thu 17-Dec-15 08:31:33

Oh my, I forgot the effects of a good weights session. Ow, ow, ow my aching muscles...

HalleLouja Thu 17-Dec-15 11:01:32

Well done lollipop. The joys of exercise. You can walk like John Wayne and feel proud.

Keep going. I took up running / gymming 2 years ago almost to the day and am now a bit obsessed.

LollipopViolet Thu 17-Dec-15 19:54:51

Not to much walking like John Wayne today - yesterday was a shoulders/arms day so asking me to lift anything heavier than a pen is a no go grin but I like the feeling, means I'm working smile

I bought some nice new gym clothes, including a couple of those crop top thingies that I've seen some ladies wearing. I used them to take "Before" pictures. Oh my, those photos aren't pretty, but they're motivational!

nbee84 Sat 19-Dec-15 22:16:07

I got into the gym last Easter. I'd been doing a lot of walking since January and felt the need to extend my fitness so bit the bullet and joined the gym. Tried some classes and loved it grin Built up to going 6 days a week and was feeling great. 3 weeks ago I got a chest infection and now feel like a beginner all over again sad I did a bodypump class last Sunday and couldn't walk for 3 days! I like a bit of muscle pain after a class but....!!! Did pump again on Thursday and just had a good ache yesterday. Pump again tomorrow but I've yet to do anything aerobic but feel like I'm almost ready - maybe spin on Wednesday.

LollipopViolet Sun 20-Dec-15 11:29:35

I'm all ready to go to the gym - this will be the 3rd trip this week. I'm getting them in during the holidays as I'm training to be a TA so once I'm back at school it might be harder, although still aiming for 2 x a week seeing as I live 10 mins walk away.

Did legs on Friday - yesterday was interesting!! Upper body today, and should probably do some cardio... I hate cardio! sad

nbee84 Sun 20-Dec-15 14:19:52

I try to do a class for my cardio as I get bored easily on the machines. I do combat or a spin class. If I do have to use the machines I do a playlist of uptempo songs on my ipod to keep me going.
Have fun! smile

LollipopViolet Sun 20-Dec-15 16:21:53

Well, I went, and actually did 20 minutes on the bike that were surprisingly enjoyable.

I think it's because the gym owner likes blasting old rock tunes out of the stereo grin

Also got an upper body weights session in, so feeling positive for SW weigh in on Wednesday. Just have to negotiate lunch and cinema trip with my best friend tomorrow.

nbee84 Sun 20-Dec-15 20:23:36

Well done :-)

How's the SW going? I lost 2st 10lb with SW 2 years ago and have managed to keep it off. Currently just under target as I was unwell recently. Good timing as it'll minimise the christmas damage a bit grin

JOEYDOESNTSHAREFOOD Sun 20-Dec-15 20:30:32

Can I join you?

I'm qualified fitness instructor/ hobby-distance runner, but a serious back injury in May put paid to my fitness entirely and also resulted in an extreme weight gain.

I joined sliming world online a few weeks ago and lost a few lbs but in the run up to Christmas I've fallen completely off the wagon.

Just found out a local gym has half price membership if I join before dec 31st so I'm thinking of joining up to build up my basic fitness.

LollipopViolet Sun 20-Dec-15 20:44:17

Oh definitely join me Joey - the more the merrier smile

SW is going OK, had a rough start where I couldn't get on track (did it before, lost over 2 stone, went to the USA for the summer and gained it all back!) but I've got my half stone now. Maintained the past 2 weeks so hoping for a loss on Wednesday.

So far, I'm loving having the gym so close to home smile

Scarydinosaurs Sun 20-Dec-15 21:06:30

Me me!

I am back on the fitness after my second baby, when on maternity leave I got super fit doing the t25 and loved it, then work kicked in and it's gone to shit.

Off for two weeks over Christmas so starting the t25 again and really looking forward to it- although my attempt on Saturday was thwarted by dodgy DVD player angry so hopefully tomorrow will be more successful.

I have a tendency to become obsessed by exercise and dieting (history of ED) so trying to be body positive, relaxed and flexible with this. I need to do something as I find exercise gives me energy, but it needs to be something I don't get carried away with.

It's lovely to be able to chat about it with other strugglers too!

LollipopViolet Sat 02-Jan-16 19:23:06

<bounces into thread> Guess what, guess what???

I lost 4 and half pounds over Christmas! grin

Back at the gym tomorrow, as a reward I'm going to go and pick up my new phone afterwards grin

nbee84 Sat 02-Jan-16 23:31:02

Well done grin That's great!

Enjoy your 'reward' and the gym.

I lost 7lb when I was ill before Christmas and put 4lb of it back on with all the festive goodies. So I'm still 3lb in credit grin I'm also feeling back to normal this week and have done 2 spinning classes, 2 body conditioning classes and 2 pump classes since Boxing Day. I feel so much better, I really missed the gym in the run up to Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now