Talk

Advanced search

Exercise after illness

(4 Posts)
nbee84 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:40:37

I'm currently ill with a chest infection - day 9 of being ill, day 2 of antibiotics. I'm usually in the gym doing classes 6 days a week - everything from spinning, body pump, boot camp etc.

I've obviously not been for 9 days now and unsure how to tackle it when I do get back (which won't be for a few more days yet I think) Do I take it gently and do things like pilates and avoid the high intensity classes. Or try the higher energy ones but just 3 times a week. I'm only 8 months into a gym routine and was feeling quite fit until this.

carrie74 Tue 15-Dec-15 13:26:37

Oof, chest infections are the worst. I think you need to ease yourself in. I think you could carry on with the higher energy ones, as long as you can take it at your own pace as needed. I think I'd hold off until you've finished your course of antibiotics though - give your body the chance to recover.

nbee84 Sat 19-Dec-15 22:03:02

Thanks carrie.

I finished my antibiotics on Monday but was still not 100%. I did do a bodypump class on the Sunday as there's no jumping about. Coughed a bit but got through it (using lighter weights) Aching legs for 3 days afterwards, 2 weeks with no exercise and I feel like I've gone back 2 months! I did pump again on Thursday and it's only today that I feel as if I could do anything aerobic. I'm certainly going to ease myself back into it and build up over a few weeks.

MrsMook Tue 22-Dec-15 17:28:11

It's just a blip. It takes a lot longer to lose fitness. Take it easy, and you'll notice when you're back up to your normal reserves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now